A deliciously creamy garlic sauce made with chopped cilantro, fresh garlic, lime juice, and sour cream. You’ll love adding it to just about anything. This sauce is super easy-to-make and ready in just 10 minutes!
This garlic sauce is no joke, guys. People go crazy for this sauce! And I bet you will too. Ever been to “Pollo Tropical”? Unless you’ve lived in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee or Texas, you have no idea what I’m talking about here.
Pollo Tropical (literally translated to “tropical chicken”) is a Caribbean-inspired fast food concept with meals so flavorful, you won’t even think it’s fast food.
Aside from Pollo Tropical’s citrus-y marinated chicken, mojo pork, yuca fries, wraps, salads, and sandwiches, they have a sauce bar!
Curry mustard, fresh salsa, sweet BBQ (like my guava BBQ sauce!), hot sauce, and the star of our show – cilantro garlic sauce. This is not sponsored, btw, I’m just obsessed.
How To Make Cilantro Garlic Sauce
This sauce is very easy to make. Into a food processor, you add the sour cream, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, and lime. Pulse until smooth and that’s all folks!
I receive a lot of questions regarding the amount of cilantro you should add to this recipe. This is totally based on preference. Some like a more intense cilantro flavor whereas others like it more garlicky.
The recipe below is a guide. Start with 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro and go from there. Also, be careful not to over-salt. I suggest adding salt, a pinch at a time, once the sauce is already smooth.
As far as healthy swaps for this garlic sauce, you can substitute the sour cream for Greek yogurt or mayo. If you’re vegan or dairy-free, you can also use almond or cashew yogurt.
I’ve personally never tried these options so I can’t guarantee results but I don’t think the consistency would differ much.
If you are making salsas or sauces or simply prepping ingredients, a food processor is a must have! It chops and blends so quickly, saving you so much time!
What do I need to make this sauce?
What Can I Add Cilantro Garlic Sauce On?
- Crispy Chicken Tacos
- Spicy Fish Tacos
- Tequila Chili-Lime Tacos
- Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Mojo Marinated Chicken Wings
- Garlic Parm Chicken Wings
- Cuban-Style Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Loaded Vegetarian Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Broiled Salmon
- Pulled Pork
- Chips (or sweet potato fries!)
- Veggie Platters
I mean you name it, you can probably add this garlic sauce on top of it!
By the way, this is not the exact recipe from Pollo Tropical but it’s pretty damn close!
This is my version of their cilantro garlic sauce.
I hope you make it and LOVE it!
Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- 12 ounces full-fat sour cream* sub for Greek yogurt or mayo
- 2 cloves garlic or more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro** stems removed and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime squeezed (2 tablespoons lime juice)
- salt to taste (careful not to over salt!)
- Add all ingredients to food processor. Mix until smooth. Serve and enjoy!
- You can use this sauce for tacos, wings, grain bowls, stuffed baked potatoes, burritos, fajitas, tostones, broiled salmon, pulled pork, yuca fries, chips (or sweet potato fries!), veggie platters and more!
Originally posted on August 2016. Updated photos and recipe in January 2018.