Delicious stuffed sweet potatoes made with Cuban beef picadillo, chopped sweet plantains, and diced avocado. A flavorful, easy-to-make 35-minute meal!
Why are sweet potatoes so versatile? One minute you’re making bacon wrapped sweet potato fries and the next minute gouda-chorizo loaded sweet potato skins. Today, we’re making stuffed sweet potatoes with a Cuban twist!
I’ve made vegetarian stuffed sweet potatoes in the past but these are chock full of delicious Cuban-style ground beef (picadillo!), sweet plantains, and avocado.
Think of it as a Cuban meal stuffed inside a sweet potato!
Flavorful beef picadillo, a side of mashed sweet potatoes, sweet plantains and diced avocado. I basically grabbed all those things and stuffed them into a sweet potato!
How To Make Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Cook the sweet potatoes. First things first, make the sweet potatoes in the microwave. You poke holes in them with a fork and then place them in the microwave for 10-12 minutes. You can also make these sweet potatoes in the oven for 45-50 minutes at 400 degrees F. Up to you!
- Make the picadillo + sweet plantains. In the meantime, make the beef picadillo in a skillet and then the sweet plantains according to the recipe below.
- Stuff the sweet potatoes with Cuban picadillo, sweet plantains, and diced avocado!
PRO TIP: You could always buy the sweet plantains already made. They are located in the frozen aisle (the Goya brand). Totally understand not wanting to wait until you have ripe plantains. No judgment here!
OH, and also…you can make the picadillo the night before so it’s ready for the next day/meal.
I promise you will love this recipe so much, it will become part of your weekly weeknight meal rotation!
Cuban-Style Stuffed Sweet PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups Cuban Beef Picadillo, cooked
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup black beans , (optional) drained, rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- Cilantro for garnish
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 large ripe plantain (very dark skin), peeled, diagonally cut into 1-inch thick slices
- Poke holes into sweet potatoes with a fork. Place sweet potatoes in the microwave for 10-12 minutes or until they are soft and thoroughly cooked. Remove from the microwave. Slice each sweet potato lengthwise, down the middle, then push both ends towards the middle so they open up. Using a fork, slightly mash the inside of the sweet potato. Set aside.
- In a hot nonstick skillet, add coconut oil. Pan fry the sliced plantain for 2-3 minutes at medium heat until they have browned. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Evenly top each sweet potato with lean ground beef, sweet plantains, and avocado. Serve and enjoy!