An easy, dairy-free, lightened up version of Thai coconut soup made with coconut milk, ginger, spices and veggies. Perfect vegetarian weeknight dinner idea!
I’ll be honest, up until a few years ago, I had never before tried Tom Kha (Thai Coconut Soup) in my life. I’d never even heard of it! At that point, the extent of my Asian cuisine experiences had been sushi, Chinese food, pad thai, and Mongolian beef at PF Changs (lol). Maybe kimchi and Korean BBQ?
SO…a few years ago, I went to dinner with friends to a nearby Thai place. My friend ordered Tom Kha and not knowing what it was, I tried it. OMG. IT WAS DELICIOUS. A little sour, yet spicy. Creamy because of the coconut milk. Flavorful from all the spices and veggies. YUM. I had wanted to remake this Thai Coconut Soup ever since that day but I never got around to it.
How good does that look!? Traditionally, Tom Kha aka Thai Coconut Soup is made with lots of spices, lemongrass, galangal root, Thai fish sauce, and Thai chili paste. But here’s the thing… I wanted to keep things simple for you. My idea was to create a homemade version of Thai Coconut Soup that you can make on a whim on a random weeknight. A deliciously easy version made with common ingredients found in your pantry or local grocery store. Like for example, lemon zest in place of lemongrass and cayenne pepper in place of the chili paste. Here’s how I made it.
How To Make Easy Thai Coconut Soup Using Simple Grocery Staples
Making this vegetarian Thai coconut soup is so easy. There’s a video below that details the process however I’ll quickly run by the steps. In a dutch oven or large pot, heat olive oil, garlic, and mushrooms. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes. Next, add carrots, soy sauce (or coconut aminos), ground ginger, sugar (or coconut sugar), cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, lemon zest, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve with sliced green onions and chopped cilantro. And don’t forget a squeeze of lime for extra freshness. That’s it!
Here’s the how-to video for vegetarian Thai coconut soup:
Feel free to buy a rotisserie chicken, shred it up and add it in, if you’d like. Honestly, this vegetarian version is delicious as is. It’s the perfect veggie-packed soup after an indulgent weekend or when you want an easy weeknight dinner.
Can’t wait for you guys to try it!
Easy Vegetarian Thai Coconut Soup (Tom Kha)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- Zest from one lemon
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (13.66 oz)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions sliced
- Lime wedges
- In a dutch oven or large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add carrots, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, lemon zest, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges, top with cilantro and green onions and enjoy!
You may also like:
- 10-Minute Healthy Turkey Meatballs (No Breadcrumbs!)
- Cauliflower Arroz Con Pollo (Low Carb!)
- Healthy-ish Cuban Bibimbap Bowl
- 15-Minute Cauliflower Congri (Cuban-Style Black Beans & Cauliflower Rice)
- Cuban-Style Crispy Shredded Chicken (Vaca Frita de Pollo)
SHOP THE RECIPE
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)