Inspired by Korean bibimbap, this healthy-ish Cuban bibimbap bowl has ground turkey (picadillo), seasoned cauliflower rice, sautéed garlic spinach, carrots, avocado, and sweet plantains. Colorful, flavorful and delicious!
Never heard of a bibimbap bowl?
It’s a Korean dish that combines rice with seasoned veggies, kimchi, beef, and an egg. The word bibimbap literally means “mixed rice”. I, of course, went on to make my own version of the authentic bibimbap bowl by Cubanizing it!
For those of you that grew up in a Cuban household, this bibimbap bowl is basically arroz con huevo (translation: rice with egg). Arroz con huevo is a what we Cubans sometimes call poor man’s food. It’s when you don’t have any food in the house except for eggs and rice.
Cuz what Cuban household doesn’t ALWAYS have cooked rice in their fridge.
They ALL do.
It’s like a thing. So you make (or heat up) rice, fry an egg and enjoy the crap out of it. Sometimes you add ground beef and a banana, other times just ketchup or hot sauce.
It’s a lazy lunch/dinner but it’s also so easy and delicious. Something I’m a huge fan of. So guess what? In essence, this Cuban bibimbap bowl is a healthy arroz con huevo aka a flavorful and colorful way to enjoy all your favorite things all in one plate!
How To Make Cuban Bibimbap
The beauty of bibimbap bowls is that you can create your own version too! You can use regular rice instead of cauliflower rice, scramble eggs instead of fry them, use Korean beef, add kimchi, use whatever leftover veggies you have on hand.
Delicious, I repeat, THIS… IS… DELICIOUS. I know it looks overwhelming at first glance but a lot of these components can actually be done beforehand and stored in the fridge. For example, you can make the:
- cauliflower rice
- turkey picadillo
- sweet plantains
When you’re ready to make the bowl, all you have to do is to make the sautéed garlic spinach and the fried eggs. Everything else either needs to be cut or heated up. Planning is key.
I can’t say any more good things about this bowl. Everyone will think you spent all day making this! Try it.
I hope you make it and LOVE it!
Healthy-ish Cuban Bibimbap Bowl
Seasoned Cauliflower Rice
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 tablespoon complete seasoning
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
Sautéed Garlic Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups spinach
- 4 sunny side up eggs
- Shredded carrots matchsticks
- Sliced avocado
- Make the turkey picadillo and sweet plantains according to the recipe instructions. Set aside.
- In a skillet, add cauliflower, complete seasoning, and soy sauce. Cook on medium heat for 4 minutes or until any water has cooked off. Set aside.
- On medium heat, add olive oil to a pan. Add the garlic and stir then add the spinach and stir until wilted.
- To assemble, evenly plate cauliflower rice, turkey picadillo, spinach, sweet plantains, carrots, and avocado. Fry your eggs to your liking. Top each plate with an egg. Serve and enjoy!