Soft, tender, flaky chai chocolate chip scones made with a homemade chai spice, mini chocolate chips and a drizzle of espresso glaze. Super easy recipe!
To be honest, I’ve never been a fan of scones. It wasn’t something I had growing up. As a matter of fact, I didn’t try one for the first time until a few years ago. They were so flaky and buttery. Delicious!
Considering Fall is in full swing (even though I live in Florida and it’s 90 degrees outside), why not make scones!?
These chai chocolate chip scones just scream Fall flavor. While everyone is going pumpkin crazy, I’m over here enjoying all the chai and cardamom. Those two are some of my favorite flavors for Fall.
The mix of chai with the mini chocolate chips and those buttery flaky layers. SO GOOD.
Also, scones are super easy to make. If I knew that sooner, I would’ve made them a long time ago! Scones are like muffins but more dense and less cake-y. They are also best served right out of the oven.
My biggest tip for making the perfect scones is to use very cold butter. This is what makes them so tender, flaky yet crispy on the outside!
Finally, the espresso glaze is just the cherry on top. It brings this whole recipe together.
Can’t wait for you guys to make them!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup very cold unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed espresso
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, spices and chocolate chips. Using your fingers, mix the butter into the flour mixture until combined. Add buttermilk then mix until well combined.
- On a lightly floured work surface, dump out the dough and knead into a circle. Cut into 8 scones. Transfer them to the prepared sheet pan. Transfer to the freezer to chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Brush the scones with buttermilk and transfer to the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Drizzle with espresso glaze and serve immediately. Enjoy!