Everything you love about pecan pie but WAY easier. This flaky buttery pecan pie galette has dark chocolate, strong espresso, raw honey, and chopped pecans.
Omg you guys, I’ve been wanting to make this galette for WEEKS now! I finally got around to making it and it is everything you want it to be and more.
The strong espresso flavors mixed with the dark chocolate and crunchy pecans. Sigh, it’s perfection.
I mean just look at it! Ugh, I can’t get enough. In case you don’t know what a galette is…it’s basically a pie for those that don’t want to make pie. I’ve never made a pie in my life. I KNOW RIGHT.
But the truth is pies were never really a big to-do in my house growing up and whenever I would go somewhere for dinner, pies were usually store-bought. I assumed this was because pie crust was a pain in the butt to deal with so I never really made it a point to make pies on my own.
Galettes, on the other hand, are stress-free and easy to make pastries that can totally take the place of pie. Plus you can make them savory or sweet. I wanted to turn pecan pie into a galette. And that, my friends, is exactly what I did.
…with my own twist, of course.
First, I added tons of butter pieces to the dough to make sure the crust was flaky af. Then I chopped up some pecans and dark chocolate bars.
Once I thinly rolled out the dough, I placed the chopped pecans and chocolate pieces in the middle then folded the edges towards the middle. This does not have to be perfect. In fact, it should look rustic! The beauty of a galette is that it’s very forgiving.
There’s no rhyme or reason to how it should look like so whether you want to pinch the edges up or just stick them together, this is totally up to you. The galette should be roughy 9″ in diameter.
Once the galette is folded, you make and add your espresso-dark-chocolate-pecan-pie filling. All your favorite parts of pecan pie and more! …well, with no corn syrup. I used honey instead of corn syrup. This filling is not too sweet thanks to the balance of bitter dark chocolate and strong espresso.
It’s galette goals people. I can’t wait for you to wow your friends with this recipe!
I hope you make this and LOVE it!
Espresso Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie GalettePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
FLAKY BUTTERY GALETTE CRUST
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup ice water
ESPRESSO DARK CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE FILLING
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons strong brewed espresso
- 2 tablespoons chocolate liqueur
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Egg wash + turbinado sugar
- In a bowl, mix flour and salt then add butter pieces. Coat the butter with the flour, using your hands to really break the pieces of butter into the flour.
- Slowly add the ice water and mix just until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a circle 1/4 inch thick. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Arrange the pecans and chocolate in an even layer on top of the dough, leaving 2 inches of uncovered dough all the way around the edge. Fold the edges of the dough over the filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, honey, espresso, chocolate liqueur, egg, salt, and vanilla. Carefully pour this mixture evenly over the pecan-chocolate mix.
- Egg wash the edge of the dough and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake until the filling sets and the crust is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, cut, and serve.