A sweet crispy classic treat with a smoky twist! Rice cereal, torched marshmallows, and smoked almonds come together to make Smoky Rice Krispie Treats. THE BEST!
Guys! Ever since I got back from Minneapolis, I’ve been dying to share this recipe with you. In Minneapolis, my friend ordered take out for us from a nearby spot and she told me about their campfire rice krispie treats. Of course, I was immediately intrigued. And in case you’re wondering, YES it was love at first bite! I knew I had to recreate these rice krispie treats when I got back home.
How To Make Smoky Rice Krispie Treats
Honestly, I feel like this name does NOT do these treats justice. They need a better name! Help. For now, let’s just bring them to life.
The idea is to make rice krispie treats the way you always make them. Melt butter with marshmallows either on the stove or in the microwave EXCEPT you’re going to add liquid smoke to them. This is the liquid smoke I used. A 1/4 teaspoon goes a long way. I wouldn’t add more or it may be too overpowering.
Next, mix the melted marshmallows with the rice cereal and smoked almonds. Spraying a spatula with cooking spray makes mixing this very sticky mixture WAY easier. PRO TIP! Once it’s all incorporated, transfer it to a greased 8×8 pan and press down the mixture with the greased spatula.
Now, here’s where you can go crazy with the kitchen torch! Woooo! Jk. Don’t do that. Be very careful not to burn the marshmallows. It may take a few tries. This is the kitchen torch I used. Top the pressed mixture with mini marshmallows. Torch the entire mixture – both the rice cereal and marshmallows – until desired torchness (not a word).
Let the mixture cool and solidify. Sprinkle with smoked sea salt then cut, serve, enjoy and that’s all folks! These smoky rice krispie treats are perfect for kids parties, holidays, or a regular Netflix binge night. I promise you’ll LOVE this new rice krispie treat variation as much as I do. It’s my new fave!
Smoky Rice Krispie Treats
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups mini marshmallows plus more for torching
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 cups rice cereal
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds
- Pinch of smoked salt for garnish optional
- Spray a 8x8 pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter on low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. (You can also microwave the butter and marshmallows for 1 minute on HIGH, if you prefer)
- Remove from heat. Stir in liquid smoke with the marshmallows. Immediately mix in the rice cereal and smoked almonds (if using). Stir until all is well combined.
- Spray a spatula with cooking spray and transfer the mixture into the pan, pressing down evenly.
- On top of the pressed down mixture, add a few mini marshmallows and gently torch them. Careful not to burn them. Allow to cool. Sprinkle with smoked salt, cut into 9 squares and serve immediately. Enjoy!