A spicy, flavorful, 30-minute chicken tortilla soup made with fire roasted tomatoes, shredded chicken breast, black beans, corn, avocado and spices!
Chicken tortilla soup is one of those soups that you can enjoy at any time of year. It can literally be 90 degrees outside but a spicy chicken tortilla soup with LOTS of lime is sometimes the perfect weeknight dinner!
Plus, it’s a one-pot meal. One-pot meals are my jam! Did you see my one-pot vegetarian paella? It’s DELISH.
There are tons of chicken tortilla soup recipes out there but this one is mine. This is why I love it:
- It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken or a great way to use store-bought rotisserie chicken. This is another way to use rotisserie chicken.
- It’s great for meal prep. (hello soup all week!)
- It’s a quick weeknight meal. Only 30-minutes!
- It also has the best toppings ever. Don’t you just love toppings!?
Like when you’re having ice cream and add a bunch of crunchy things on top. At least, that’s what I do. Who likes plain ice cream? Not I! I don’t like plain soups either.
The best toppings for chicken tortilla soup are sliced jalapeño, diced avocado, sliced green onions, shredded cheese, and tortilla strips.
Btw, you can also make your own tortilla strips by cutting a tortilla into thin slices and frying it up. Either way, it gives a delicious crunch to a hearty, chunky soup.
Oh and also, I made the soup with fire roasted tomatoes because I love the spice but you can totally use regular diced tomatoes if you’re not into that kinda stuff. If you can’t find fire roasted tomatoes, you can use regular diced tomatoes with some cayenne pepper to taste.
How good does that look!?
So without further ado, here’s a simple, healthy-ish meal for a chilly or not so chilly day!
I hope you make it and LOVE it!
Quick + Easy 30-Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes* 28 ounces
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces) drained and rinsed
- 1 can whole kernel corn (15 ounces) drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked chicken shredded
- Jalapeño sliced
- Colby cheese shredded
- Avocado cubed
- Green onions sliced
- Tortilla strips
- Cilantro chopped
- Lime wedges
- In a large pot, add oil, onion and garlic. Sauté over medium heat until onions and garlic are translucent and fragrant. Add oregano, cumin, tomatoes, and chicken stock. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- If you like soups that are more on the chunky side, skip this step. Place the pot away from the stove and place a hand blender inside the pot to blend all the ingredients until desired consistency. You can also transfer the soup to a high-speed blender and blend that way too.
- Once you the soup is blended and in the pot, add the black beans, corn, and shredded chicken. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with jalapeño slices, shredded Colby cheese, cubed avocado, green onions, tortilla strips, cilantro and don’t forget that squeeze of lime. Enjoy!
SHOP THE RECIPE
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)