A deliciously simple homemade roasted tomato basil soup that you can enjoy all year round with a melty grilled cheese made with Irish whiskey butter!
Let me start by saying that I’m not a big soup person. WHAT? Umm…then WHY are you posting this today, Jamie?
I can explain.
Sometimes you come across a soup + sandwich combo that you just LOVE and can’t stop thinking about. I mean who doesn’t love carbs, amirite?! I practically dream about them!
There’s a local restaurant here in Miami named KUSH that makes a pretty badass tomato soup + grilled cheese. The perfect pairing really. This is nothing revolutionary here. Those two menu items are go-to for me whenever I go there. If I go with the burger that day, I ask for the mixed fries! They basically toss french fries together with crispy sweet potatoes fries and it’s just da bomb.
You know what else is bomb? This Jameson Whiskey grilled cheese I had in New Orleans a few years ago in this hole in the wall named Killer Po’Boys.
So what better way to bring these two gems together then creating my own version of BOTH!
What’s An Irish Whiskey Grilled Cheese?
The Jameson grilled cheese I had in NOLA was made with aged cheddar and Jameson Whiskey on multigrain bread. Literally, the most simple thing ever but we haven’t stopped talking / thinking about it since we left.
You know a meal is good when you not only go back the next day and order it again BUT you also still talk about it years later. It was THAT good.
Maybe it was the texture of the bread, maybe it was the cheddar or the slight hint of Jameson. Or maybe it was the booze lol…
Whatever it was, the sandwich tasted pretty damn good. And there’s no better way to enjoy a grilled cheese than with a creamy, homemade, roasted tomato basil soup!
A Few Notes On The Recipe
I made the recipe with “year round” in mind.
Living in Florida where tomatoes are always available, I can make this with canned roasted tomatoes or with tomatoes themselves at any time.
But for those of you reading this on a cold winter day or when tomato season is so far gone, you can totally make this bomb soup easily with a can of good quality roasted tomatoes.
Both options are in the recipe below.
Aside from that, you can make an Irish whiskey butter to slater up on multigrain bread with aged cheddar cheese to make the BEST grilled cheese ever to pair with tomato soup. Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
Let me know if you make it!
Roasted Tomato Soup with Irish Whiskey Grilled Cheese
ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can roasted tomatoes (28 ounce)*
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves
IRISH WHISKEY GRILLED CHEESE
- 4 tablespoons salted butter room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon Irish whiskey
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 8 slices aged cheddar
ROASTED TOMATO BASIL SOUP
- In a large pot, add butter and olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant, about 15 minutes.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, chicken stock (or water), heavy cream, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and purée soup using a hand blender. Return the pot to the stove and simmer for 20 minutes.
IRISH WHISKEY GRILLED CHEESE
- Once the soup is done, make the grilled cheese. In a bowl, mix butter and whiskey together until well combined. Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Spread whiskey butter on both sides of the bread. Place bread on the skillet and add 2 slices of cheddar cheese.
- Spread whiskey butter on both sides of the second slice of bread then place on top of sandwich. Grill until browned and flip over to continue grilling until cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining 2 slices of bread, whiskey butter and slice of cheese. Serve immediately with roasted tomato soup. Enjoy!
Thank you for being here! <3
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)