Easy Tom Kha Soup (Vegetarian Thai Coconut Soup)
An easy, dairy-free, lightened up version of Tom Kha Soup (Thai coconut soup) made with coconut milk, ginger, spices and veggies. Perfect vegetarian weeknight dinner idea!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- Zest from one lemon
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (13.66 oz)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 green onions sliced
- Lime wedges
In a dutch oven or large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté for 3-5 minutes.
Add carrots, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, lemon zest, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Serve with lime wedges, top with cilantro and green onions and enjoy!
*This recipe is vegetarian but feel free to buy a rotisserie chicken, shred it up and add it in, if you'd like. You can add shrimp too!
**This tom kha soup lasts 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.5g | Protein: 2.4g | Fat: 17.2g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 776mg | Potassium: 223mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 7g | Calcium: 3% | Iron: 7%