An easy-to-make cauliflower rice recipe made Cuban-style made with riced cauliflower, spices, and black beans. A quick 15-minute meal!
I’m so excited about this recipe! If you’re wanting to cook more at home or you’re trying to eat healthier, you’re in for a treat!
I’m on a mission to also eat healthier by lightening up a few of my FAVORITE Cuban comfort foods that I’ve loved for years. For example, I’ve already done this with cauliflower arroz con pollo and now I’m doing it with congri.
What is congri?
Congri [kon-gree] is Cuban-style rice and beans. Another name for it is Moros y Cristianos. Supposedly congri is made with red beans while moros y cristianos is made with black beans. And that very well may be the case HOWEVER my mom always called it congri so congri it is. She’s always right. ;)
Essentially you cook the black beans first with green peppers, onions, and garlic, then you add in the white rice and cook it all with dry cooking wine, spices, and sometimes BACON. Yes, you heard that correctly. Bacon! For obvious reasons, it’s always been my favorite rice ever. Duh, right?
But now ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a healthier option…this is Cauliflower Congri! The perfect marriage of riced cauliflower and Cuban black beans.
What does cauliflower rice taste like?
Riced cauliflower tastes bland and boring. It’s basically just a head of cauliflower pulsed down to a rice-like consistency. The only way for cauliflower rice to taste good is to season it! This is why I LOVE this recipe for riced cauliflower. The black beans and spices get soaked in by the riced cauliflower making it so flavorful. It’s like healthy Cuban food!
Ingredients You’ll Need For This Cauliflower Rice Recipe
- Sofrito (onion, garlic, green pepper): As with most Cuban dishes, this recipe starts with a sofrito: a combination of garlic, onions, and green peppers. It’s like a Cuban mirepoix.
- Riced cauliflower: You can buy a head of cauliflower, cut the florets and pulse them in a food processor until riced. You can also buy store-bought cauliflower rice.
- Black beans: For this recipe, I like using a can of low-sodium black beans. I save 1/3 cup of the liquid for the cauliflower rice to soak up. This also will help color the riced cauliflower.
- Spices: Cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
How To Make Cauliflower Congri
- Start with your sofrito. In a pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and green peppers until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Make the cauliflower congri. Add the cauliflower rice, black beans, 1/3 cup of liquid from the can of black beans, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 6-8 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve with chicken or salmon, or enjoy it by itself.
It’s so easy! I promise it tastes like black beans more than cauliflower. I would never steer you wrong!
How do you make cauliflower rice not soggy?
Try not to leave it on the pan for too long. Transfer it off the pan to a plate as soon as you’re done cooking to avoid it from getting soggy. It should be tender like rice with the yummy taste of Cuban black beans.
How long does cauliflower congri last?
While it’s better enjoyed immediately after cooking, this cauliflower congri recipe lasts 2 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
Cauliflower Congri (Cuban-Style Black Beans + Cauliflower Rice Recipe)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup green pepper finely chopped
- 12 ounces riced cauliflower
- 1 can low-sodium black beans
- 1/3 cup liquid from canned black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt + pepper to taste
- In a pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and green peppers until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add riced cauliflower, black beans, 1/3 cup of liquid from the canned black beans, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes or so until the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately with chicken breast, salmon, or by itself. Enjoy!
You may also like:
- Cuban-Style Shrimp Creole (The BEST Shrimp Recipe!)
- Low Carb Arroz Con Pollo Recipe
- Dairy-Free Batido de Trigo (Cuban Milkshake)
- Cuban-Style Crispy Shredded Chicken (Vaca Frita de Pollo)
- Homemade Cuban Complete Seasoning