Cuban-Style Black Beans & Cauliflower Rice! A quick and easy weeknight dish made with cauliflower rice, cumin, oregano, and black beans. A healthy twist on the popular Cuban-style black beans and rice!
I’m soo excited about this recipe! If you’re wanting to cook more at home or you’re trying to eat healthier, you’re in for a treat!
I’m on a mission to also eat healthier by lightening up a few of my FAVORITE Cuban comfort foods that I’ve loved for years. For example, I’ve already done this with cauliflower arroz con pollo and now I’m doing it with congri.
What is congri?
Congri [kon-gree] is Cuban-style rice and beans. Another name for it is Moros y Cristianos. Supposedly congri is made with red beans while moros y cristianos is made with black beans. And that very well may be the case HOWEVER my mom always called it congri so congri it is. She’s always right. ;)
Essentially you cook the black beans first with green peppers, onions, and garlic, then you add in the white rice and cook it all with dry cooking wine, spices, and sometimes BACON. Yes, you heard that correctly. Bacon! For obvious reasons, it’s always been my favorite rice ever. Duh, right?
But now ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a healthier option…this is Cauliflower Congri!
That is cauliflower rice with Cuban black beans. The liquid from the black beans gets absorbed by the cauliflower rice. Plus you add spices and the black beans, and you’ll NEVER taste the cauliflower. It’s SO good! I promise!
How To Make Cauliflower Rice with Cuban Black Beans
- In a pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion, garlic, and green peppers until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice, black beans, 1/3 cup of liquid from the can of black beans, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine and cook for 6-8 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
The same great flavors of Cuban-style black beans and rice made with riced cauliflower!
Cumin, oregano, onions, garlic, green peppers, black beans. Made all in one-pan. I mean, does it get any better than that?
The best part about this dish is that you won’t even realize the “rice” is actually a vegetable. And you cannot taste the cauliflower rice AT ALL.
Might even be a great idea when you want your kids to eat more veggies! Serve with chicken or salmon, or enjoy it by itself.
It’s a quick + easy meal to make and I KNOW you will add it to your weekly dinner rotation ASAP.
Cauliflower Congri (Cuban-Style Black Beans & Cauliflower Rice)Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 12 ounces riced cauliflower
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, reserving 1/3 cup liquid from can
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt + pepper to taste
- In a pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, garlic, and green peppers until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add riced cauliflower, black beans, 1/3 cup of liquid from the can of black beans, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Stir to combine and cook for 6-8 minutes until the liquid has evaporated. Serve immediately. Enjoy!