Mojo marinade! An easy-to-make homemade Cuban citrus-garlic mojo marinade for chicken, meat, shrimp, and pork made with simple fresh ingredients.
Welcome to the best marinade you’ll ever make! If you’ve been searching for a good chicken marinade, steak marinade, or even pork marinade, this recipe is for you!
I’ve been enjoying this recipe since birth and I have to say, I never get tired of it. Maybe I’m biased…
What is mojo marinade?
Mojo marinade (or mojo criollo) is a Cuban citrusy, garlicky marinade that has a tangy, slightly sour flavor which is the best!
There are several variations of this mojo marinade. Some are heavy on the oil, others don’t have oil at all. The oil does play an integral part in helping meat and chicken from drying out so I made sure to include it in this recipe.
There’s a good balance of sour orange (orange juice / fresh lemon juice / fresh lime juice) and olive oil with fresh garlic and spices. SO GOOD!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Garlic. You need 10 cloves of garlic which equal 1 head of garlic.
- Minced white onion.
- Oregano, salt, black pepper.
- Sour orange. You can buy and use 2 cups of store-bought sour orange juice or make your own using orange zest, fresh orange juice, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 cup fresh lime juice.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
How To Make Mojo Criollo Marinade
This recipe comes together easily. First, you need to mash the garlic into a paste-like consistency. You can do this with a mortar and pestle, or simply mash the garlic with the side of a knife, chop, mash again, chop, mash again, until you get the consistency you want – a delicious garlic paste!
Once that’s done, add the garlic into a large jar with the onion, oregano, salt, pepper, orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, lime juice, and olive oil. Cover and shake, shake, shake until well combined. Be sure to shake it before every use.
You should have approximately 2 cups of mojo marinade. Feel free to taste and adjust seasoning.
Recipes to use with mojo
- Mojo Chicken Tacos with Sweet Plantain Salsa
- Easy Mojo Chicken Breast Recipe
- Cuban-Style Crispy Shredded Chicken (Vaca Frita de Pollo)
- Crispy Baked Mojo Marinated Chicken Wings
Can’t wait for you to try it!
Cuban Mojo Marinade Recipe
- 1 head garlic (approx. 10 cloves mashed until you get a smooth paste)
- 1/3 cup minced white onion
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a large mason jar, add garlic, onion, oregano, salt, pepper, orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, lime juice, and olive oil. Cover and shake it up until well combined. Be sure to shake well before every use.
- This recipe makes approx. 2 cups of mojo marinade. Feel free to taste and adjust seasoning. The marinade should taste tangy, citrusy, garlicky, and slightly sour.