This Vegan Cuban Caesar Salad is made with fresh romaine lettuce, crumbled twice-fried plantains as croutons, and a dairy-free caesar dressing!
This post is sponsored by Califia Farms. All opinions are my own.
Today, I’m giving the classic caesar salad a Cuban twist by adding crumbled tostones as croutons!
Um, YES PLEASE!
I also made a dairy-free Caesar dressing with simple ingredients including Califia’s Cashew Homestyle Nut Milk which is made with oats, sea salt, and coconut cream. It’s soy-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, kosher, vegan, and BPA-free. The dairy-free caesar dressing turned out creamy, nutty, garlicky with a slight umami flavor. It’s perfect!
How to make dairy-free caesar dressing
First things first, you gotta soak the cashews for 20 minutes. This isn’t a totally crucial step but it does help the cashews blend better. It also makes the dressing more smooth and creamy. You then make dairy-free buttermilk by stirring together Califia’s Cashew Homestyle Nut Milk + lime juice and allowing it to sit for 30 seconds.
Now into a food processor or blender (this is my blender which I love), add the drained cashews, dairy-free buttermilk, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos, garlic, and a pinch of salt + pepper. Pulse until all is well blended. Taste and adjust salt + pepper, if needed. If you need to thin out the dressing, whisk in a teaspoon of water at a time until desired consistency.
You can make this dairy-free caesar dressing one day in advance and keep it in the fridge until ready to serve.
Make sure to wash your romaine lettuce. Once you have the Tostones (Twice-Fried Plantains!) cooked and your dairy-free caesar dressing ready to go, you can assemble the salad and enjoy!
Can’t wait for you to try this recipe!
Vegan Cuban Caesar Salad with Plantain Croutons
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- Tostones (Twice Fried Plantains) for crumbling into the salad
Dairy-Free Caesar Dressing
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup Califia Farms Homestyle Cashew Milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- In a bowl, soak cashews with water for 20 minutes.
- In a cup, stir together Califia Farms Homestyle Cashew Milk + lime juice and allow to sit for 30 seconds. This makes dairy-free buttermilk.
- In a food processor or blender, add the drained cashews, buttermilk, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos, garlic, and a pinch of salt + pepper. Pulse until all blended. Taste and adjust salt + pepper, if needed. To thin out, whisk in a teaspoon of water at a time until desired consistency. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad. In a large bowl, add romaine lettuce. Crumble plantains over salad and drizzle with dairy-free caesar dressing. Mix it all together and serve. Enjoy!
Thank you Califia Farms for sponsoring this post and a HUGE thank you to all the readers of this blog for all your support! xo
Originally posted in May 2019. Updated photos and recipe in April 2020.