Crispy, baked chicken wings topped with sticky, sweet and savory guava BBQ sauce. A BBQ sauce so Miami and so Cuban, your Summer just went next level!
Don’t you just love chicken wings? What about bbq chicken wings?
I’m going to go with a resounding YES!
It doesn’t have to be football Sunday for me to enjoy a plate of delicious wings. As a matter of fact, I’ve made lemon pepper wings, mojo chicken wings and garlic parm wings too. LOVE me some wings!
I also love to bake them. My friends were pretty impressed to see how crispy my wings are out of the oven. If you have a bbq, you can totally make them in there too. But honestly, the oven works just as well.
I wanted to experiment making a sweet savory BBQ sauce.
And what better way to make a sauce sweet than with the most Cuban/Miami flavor ever – GUAVA!
If you’re looking for guava, you can buy it here or any Latin grocery store.
This guava BBQ sauce is the perfect blend of tangy, sweet, and STICKY. The good kind of sticky.
Best part about it is that it’s versatile so you can add this BBQ sauce on ribs, ham, chicken breast or thighs, or even pulled pork.
These chicken wings are going to be a hit at your outing.
Your friends and family will love them!
Guava BBQ Chicken Wings
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken wings tips removed drumettes and flats separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Guava BBQ Sauce
- 8 ounces guava paste cut into 1/2-inch pieces 1 cup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss chicken wings, vegetable oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl to coat. Place wings on rimmed baking sheets and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the guava paste with the vinegar, rum, tomato paste, lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced, about 15 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Remove wings from oven and brush on guava BBQ sauce on each wing.
- Place back in the oven and bake until glaze is glossy and lightly caramelized, 10 minutes.
Looking for other sauce ideas?
- Avocado Chimichurri
- Homemade Honey Mustard Sauce
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Homemade Lightened Up Chipotle Mayo
- Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Avocado Sauce
- Cilantro Garlic Chimichurri
- Avocado Crema
- Mango Rum Sauce
- Lightened Up Big Mac Sauce
- Arugula Pesto
- Homemade Lightened Up Caesar Dressing
- Mango Mojito Dressing
- Avocado Dill Dressing
- Homemade Honey Whiskey BBQ Sauce
- Guava BBQ Sauce
Thank you for being here! <3
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)