Crispy, baked chicken wings coated in an easy-to-make, homemade, sticky, sweet and savory guava barbeque sauce. Perfect for any occasion!
Don’t you just love chicken wings? What about bbq chicken wings?
I’m going to go with a resounding YES!
It doesn’t have to be football Sunday for me to enjoy a plate of delicious wings. As a matter of fact, I’ve made lemon pepper wings, mojo chicken wings and garlic parm wings too. LOVE me some wings!
I also love to bake them. My friends were pretty impressed to see how crispy my wings are out of the oven. If you have a bbq, you can totally make them in there too. But honestly, the oven works just as well.
I wanted to experiment making a sweet savory BBQ sauce.
And what better way to make a sauce sweet than with the most Cuban/Miami flavor ever – GUAVA!
If you’re looking for guava, you can buy it here or any Latin grocery store.
This guava BBQ sauce is the perfect blend of tangy, sweet, and STICKY. The good kind of sticky.
Best part about it is that it’s versatile so you can add this BBQ sauce on ribs, ham, chicken breast or thighs, or even pulled pork.
These chicken wings are going to be a hit at your outing.
Your friends and family will love them!
Guava BBQ Chicken WingsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
Guava BBQ Sauce
- 10 ounces guava paste, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken wings, tips removed; drumettes and flats separated (approx. 20-25 wings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil, (you can also use melted butter)
- Salt + pepper to taste
How To Make Guava BBQ Sauce
- In a saucepan, add all the ingredients for the guava BBQ sauce. Bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced, about 15 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Allow sauce to cool before using.
How To Make Chicken Wings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place a wire rack inside a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray the wire rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add chicken wings, oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Lay the chicken wings on the wire rack. Bake wings for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove wings from oven and brush guava BBQ sauce on wings. Place back in the oven and bake until glaze is glossy and lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
You may also like:
- Guava Coconut Lime Margarita
- Pastelitos de Guayaba + Queso (Guava Cheese Pastries!)
- Guava Basil Moscow Mule
- White Chocolate Guava Magic Cookie Bars
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)