Growing up in a Cuban family means guava is a big part of your life. We are introduced to the fruit early on and then we enjoy guava paste, guava juice, and all the guava things!
This is why I love making homemade recipes using guava!
With that said, I knew I had to add one more to the list… Guava Margaritas!
This refreshingly sweet guava margarita recipe on the rocks is made with guava nectar, coconut water, and fresh lime juice. No margarita mix here!
To be honest, I’m not even the biggest fan of tequila but after several recipe tests, this is quite possibly the best tequila margarita I’ve ever tried.
Let me show you how to make it!
When you’re done making this recipe, you should make my Cuban Arroz Imperial!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Guava nectar. The star of the recipe! Guava nectar is a juice made from the pulp of the guava fruit. It’s deliciously sweet and tangy with a semi-thick consistency unlike guava juice which has a thinner consistency. You can, of course, use fresh guava to make guava nectar however I know not everyone has access to it. You can buy guava nectar by clicking here.
- Tequila blanco. The best tequila for margaritas is silver tequila (or tequila blanco) since it has a light, smooth taste, and pairs well with fresh lime juice. For a single serving of this margarita recipe, I use 2 ounces of tequila blanco. You can also omit the tequila entirely if you’re wanting to do a guava margarita mocktail!
- Coconut water. Adds a sweet, nutty twist to this guava tequila cocktail!
- Fresh lime juice. The sour taste of the lime complements the sweetness of the guava juice so well!
- Agave. This is your sweetener. You can add 1 tablespoon or more to a single serving or you can use simple syrup if you prefer that instead. Adjust as desired!
- First, let’s rim the glasses. On a plate, combine unsweetened shredded coconut, lime zest, and kosher salt. Run a lime wedge around the rim of the glasses and dip them in coconut salt mixture to coat. Set aside.
For a single serving guava margarita
- To a cocktail shaker, add guava nectar, tequila, coconut water, lime juice, agave, and a few ice cubes.
- Cover and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Add more agave if desired.
- Add ice cubes to the prepared glass. Pour the guava margarita into the glass and garnish it with a lime wedge.
For a pitcher of guava margaritas
- In a large pitcher, stir guava nectar, tequila, coconut water, lime juice, agave, and a few ice cubes until well combined.
- Pour the guava margarita into the prepared glasses over ice. The recipe below makes 12 servings (1/2 cup per serving).
When you’re done with this recipe, make a classic Cuban cocktail – the Cuban mojito!
- Frozen Guava Margaritas. Blend all the ingredients with 1-2 cups of ice in a high-speed blender until you get a slushy consistency then pour into glasses. Perfect for Summer!
- Spicy Guava Margaritas. For some added heat, muddle freshly sliced jalapeño peppers with the agave in your cocktail shaker before pouring the remaining ingredients. Yum!
- Passionfruit Guava Margarita. Replace the coconut water with 2 ounces of passionfruit juice. SO GOOD!
- Lychee Mango Guava Margarita. Whew! That was a mouthful. For the ultimate sweet cocktail, replace the coconut water with 2 ounces of mango nectar and add 1 ounce of Elderflower liqueur.
Can’t wait for you to try it!
The Best Guava Margarita (On-the-Rocks!)
SINGLE GUAVA MARGARITA
- On a plate, combine unsweetened shredded coconut, lime zest, and kosher salt. Run a lime wedge around the rim of the glasses and dip them in coconut salt mixture to coat. Set aside.
- To a cocktail shaker, add guava nectar, tequila, coconut water, lime juice, agave, and a few ice cubes. Cover and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Add more agave if desired.
- Add ice cubes to the prepared glass. Pour the guava margarita into the glass and garnish with a lime wedge. Enjoy!