A simple and flavorful blackened salmon recipe made with spicy, smoky seasonings and topped with a pineapple-jalapeño salsa.
I’m always on the hunt for easy salmon recipes with lots of flavor. I know a lot of people don’t like salmon but I guarantee they’re just not seasoning it correctly. Like everything with cooking, if you don’t season your food, it will be bland. Duh. :)
This is my FAVORITE way of enjoying salmon – blackened! It’s so smoky, spicy, and DELICIOUS!
Let me show you how to make it – 3 ways.
What is Blackened Seasoning?
In essence, blackened seasoning is really Cajun seasoning. Blackened is more of a cooking method in conjunction with the seasoning. When you make blackened seafood, you first season the fish with the spice blend, melt butter on a hot pan and sear on both sides until you achieve a delicious crust.
Blackened seasoning is usually made up of smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, thyme, oregano, salt + pepper. Some blends don’t have sugar but I find that adding sugar helps to caramelize the scallops with a perfect crust. YUM.
This spice blend is smoky, a little spicy, and overall perfectly balanced.
How To Make Pineapple-Jalapeño Salsa
All you have to do is combine the diced pineapples, chopped red onion, minced jalapeños, chopped cilantro, lime, and salt in a small bowl.
I then placed it in the fridge while I made the salmon. This also allowed all the flavors to meld together. It was SO good!
Here are 3 ways to cook salmon – oven-baked, air fried, and in a skillet. Here we go!
HOW TO COOK BLACKENED SALMON IN THE OVEN
To make salmon in the oven, make sure to season the salmon fillets then place them skin side down on a parchment paper-lined baking dish. Bake until salmon is fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness. Just make sure the internal temp of the salmon fillets is 145 degrees F on a food thermometer.
HOW TO COOK BLACKENED SALMON IN THE AIR FRYER
To make salmon in the air fryer, you, first, season the salmon fillets then spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place the salmon fillets, skin side down, in the basket (depending on the size, you may have to do this in batches). Air fry the salmon for 8-10 minutes at 390ºF or until fully cooked.
HOW TO COOK BLACKENED SALMON IN A PAN
Season the salmon fillets. In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook salmon fillets, skin side up, for 5 minutes. Flip the filet and cook for another 5 minutes until fully cooked.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SALMON
You can serve salmon with:
- roasted potatoes
- roasted veggies
I can’t wait for you to make this recipe!
You may also like:
- Spicy Salmon with Honey Butter Sauce
- 5-Ingredient Honey Mustard Salmon
- Spicy Salmon Tostones
- Blackened Salmon Burgers with Queso Fresco Cream Cheese Spread
Blackened Salmon with Pineapple-Jalapeño SalsaPrint Recipe
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 cup minced red onions
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Juice from 1 large lime
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 salmon filets, (~5 ounces each)
- In a bowl, mix together diced pineapple, jalapeño, red onions, cilantro, juice from 1 lime, and salt until combined. Place in the fridge to set while you make the salmon.
- In another bowl, add the smoked paprika, cayenne, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and mix together until combined.
- Lay the salmon filets on a clean work surface and sprinkle the blackened seasoning evenly over each filet, rubbing it on all sides.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook salmon fillets, skin side up, for 5 minutes. Flip the filet and cook for another 5 minutes. Make sure to cook salmon until internal temperature reads 145 degrees F on a food thermometer.
- Transfer to a plate. Serve with white rice or a salad. Enjoy!