A spicy salmon recipe made with a homemade spice mix and a delicious honey butter sauce. Perfect 25-minute weeknight meal!
In case you’re new here, I’m sure you already know I love all types of seafood. I also love me some deliciously cooked salmon! Have you ever wanted to make salmon but you either are intimidated by making it at home OR you’re not sure how to season it?
Well, this easy spicy salmon with honey butter sauce is for you!
Salmon is one of my favorite things to make for friends, family, and especially during busy weeknights. Cooking salmon is always a breeze plus I’m sharing 3 ways to make salmon at home by baking, pan-searing, and air frying. All these methods are ready in under 20 minutes!
Let’s get into it.
How To Season Salmon
I often hear from others that salmon tastes like nothing. DUH! You have to season it for it to taste good! The beauty of salmon (and most fish in general) is that they go well with almost any mix of spices, even if you just use salt and pepper.
For this recipe, however, I’m using a blend of my favorite spices. This simple spicy mix for seasoning salmon includes:
- smoked paprika
- cayenne pepper
- brown sugar
- garlic powder
It’s that simple and oh so good for elevating the flavor of salmon!
How To Make Honey Butter Sauce
This honey butter sauce not only takes this spicy salmon recipe to the next level but it’s also VERY easy to make. In a bowl, you make the honey butter by whisking together the melted butter with honey until you get a drippy consistency.
The honey butter sauce will thicken as it cools which is fine (and kinda even better, to be honest) and then you can drizzle it over the salmon fillets. You can also use it for chicken wings, chicken breast, roasted veggies, and more. It will last about 3-4 weeks in the fridge in an airtight container (or a weck jar) for future use.
You can bake salmon in the oven, pan sear it on the stove, grill it, or use an air fryer. My go-to method is to cook salmon in a skillet on the stove. No matter which method you use, all you have to pay attention to is the internal temperature which should read 145 degrees F on a food thermometer.
How To Cook Salmon in the Oven
To make salmon in the oven, make sure to season the salmon fillets then place them skin side down on a parchment paper lined baking dish. Bake until salmon is fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness. Just make sure the internal temp of the salmon fillets is 145 degrees F on a food thermometer.
How To Cook Salmon in the Air Fryer
To make salmon in the air fryer, you, first, season the salmon fillets then spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Place the salmon fillets, skin side down, in the basket (depending on the size, you may have to do this in batches). Air fry the salmon for 8-10 minutes at 390 degrees F or until fully cooked.
How To Cook Salmon in a Pan
Season the salmon fillets. In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook salmon fillets, skin side up, for 5 minutes. Flip the filet and cook for another 4 minutes until fully cooked.
What to Serve with Salmon
You can serve salmon with:
- roasted potatoes
- roasted veggies
I can’t wait for you to make this recipe!
You may also like:
- 5-Ingredient Honey Mustard Salmon
- Spicy Salmon Tostones
- Blackened Salmon Burgers with Queso Fresco Cream Cheese Spread
- Salmon Quinoa Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces honey
- 4 wild-caught salmon fillets
- Lemon slices
- In a small bowl, whisk all spices together. Season salmon fillets with the spice mix. Set aside.
- In another bowl, make the honey butter by mixing together butter and honey together until drippy.*
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook salmon fillets, skin side up, for 5 minutes. Flip the filet and cook for another 5 minutes. Make sure to cook salmon until internal temperature reads 145 degrees F on a food thermometer.
- In the last minute, brush the honey butter sauce evenly over the salmon fillets. Serve salmon with lemon slices. Enjoy!