This healthy fish taco recipe is made with pan-fried white fish, smoky spices, easy slaw, and chipotle mayo. Ready in 15 minutes!
A few years ago, there was a Mexican restaurant in Miami that had the BEST estilo baja tacos! Beer-battered deep fried fish, Mexican slaw, and chipotle aioli. YUM! Literally was my favorite lunch spot. Until they closed. (hello darkness, my old friend) So bummed. But hey, that just means I had to learn how to make bomb ass fish tacos at home.
So I did.
This is my go-to fish taco recipe! The fish is tender, smoky, flavorful, and the creamy, spicy chipotle mayo just makes them extra DELISH! I mean, who doesn’t love a kick in their tacos?! You can totally adjust the spice levels in the recipe. If you want more chipotle mayo, by all means, help yourself!
How To Make Spicy Fish Tacos
Well, first, you need to make the chipotle mayo which I made with 3 simple ingredients. If you prefer a store-bought chipotle mayo, I highly recommend this one. I’ve also heard great things about this vegan chipotle mayo. Once you make the chipotle mayo, it’s time to make the fish taco recipe.
Combine the spices in a small bowl. Lay the fish fillets on a clean work surface and sprinkle the spice mix evenly over each filet, rubbing it on all sides.
In a non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and cook the fish fillets, 4 minutes on each side. Using a fork, shred the fish fillets. Divide the cooked shredded fish evenly into the 12 corn tortillas. I love to top my fish tacos with crunchy shredded red cabbage, cilantro, a squeeze of lime and a drizzle of chipotle mayo. SO GOOD!
I hope you make these tacos and LOVE them!
Easy Chipotle Mayo
- 1/3 cup mayo, (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from the can
- 3 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 fish fillets, (any white fish like cod, mahi mahi, halibut)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- If using store-bought chipotle mayo, skip this step. In a food processor, add mayo, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Pulse until well blended. Set aside.
- Mix the smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Lay the fish fillets on a clean work surface and sprinkle the spice mix evenly over each filet, rubbing it on all sides.
- In a non-stick skillet set over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add 2 of the fish fillets and cook, undisturbed, about 4 minutes. Flip the fillets and cook for another 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining 2 filets.
- Using a fork, shred the fish fillets. Divide the cooked shredded fish evenly into the 12 corn tortillas. Add shredded red cabbage, cilantro and drizzle with chipotle mayo. Serve and enjoy!