The easiest, fluffiest, creamy mashed potatoes recipe made with just 5 ingredients! Perfect side dish for Thanksgiving or any occasion.
There’s nothing better than warm, fluffy mashed potatoes. Am I right?!
Potatoes weren’t a big tradition in my Hispanic family but I definitely have a deep love for them. I love them fried, mashed, baked. There’s just no bad way to make potatoes! Today’s recipe is easy-to-make, only 5 ingredients, and perfect for any day of the week.
Here’s how I made the BEST mashed potatoes ever!
Ingredients for 5-Ingredient Mashed Potatoes
- Russet potatoes – These potatoes have a mild, earthy flavor and have the perfect texture for fluffy mashed potatoes.
- Cold water – Enough to create steam to soften the potatoes.
- Heavy whipping cream – The perfect thickener for rich, creamy mashed potatoes due to its high-fat content.
- Unsalted butter – This adds richness and flavor to the potatoes. I like using unsalted butter so I can adjust the salt myself.
- Salt – This enhances all the flavors! If you find your mashed potatoes are too salty after adding salt, you can add a bit more heavy whipping cream (1 tablespoon at a time) to help balance it out.
- Fresh parsley – This herb has a peppery, earthy flavor that complements these mashed potatoes perfectly. I wouldn’t use dried parsley though as the flavor is not as strong.
How To Make Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Peel the potatoes. Once you peel and cut the potatoes, place them in a pot with cold water.
- Mash the potatoes. Place the lid on the pot and steam them for 20-25 minutes until they are tender enough to mash. Drain and let cool slightly. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and mash them with a potato masher. You can also use a potato ricer.
- Flavor it up! Once the potatoes are mashed, add the heavy whipping cream, butter, salt, dried parsley, and black pepper. Mix until all is well combined. Taste and adjust salt as needed. That’s all folks!
Can’t wait for you to make this recipe!
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup water, or enough to steam the potatoes in the pot
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Black pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme for garnish
- First things first, steam the potatoes. Place the chopped potatoes in a pot with cold water. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat. Steam the potatoes for about 20-25 minutes until they are tender enough to mash. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash them with a potato masher, then add heavy whipping cream, butter, salt, dried parsley, and black pepper. Mix until all is well combined.
- Taste and adjust salt as needed. Serve and enjoy!
You may also like:
- 5-Ingredient Crispy Sliced Roasted Potatoes
- Caramelized Onion Pear & Walnut Stuffing
- Mini Sweet Corn Casseroles
- Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Gratin
- Cuban-Style Three Meat + Plantain Stuffing
- Chorizo Mac and Cheese with Cheesy Pork Rind Topping
- 5-Ingredient Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Bourbon Caramel Apple Galette
- Moist Carrot Cupcakes with Brown Butter Frosting
- Espresso Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie Galette
- Leftover Cranberry + Turkey Turnovers (Thanksgiving Pastelitos!)
- Leftover Turkey Arepas with Cranberry Goat Cheese