Creamy mac and cheese mixed with crumbled Mexican chorizo and a cheesy chicharrón (pork rind) crumble topping. A Latin twist on an American classic!
Today I’m excited to bring you just that. I’m partnering up with Wyke Farms to bring you this super cheesy mac and cheese recipe made with their Ivy’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar, Mexican chorizo and a cheesy chicharron (pork rind) topping.
Wyke Farm’s Ivy’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar is made using grandmother Ivy’s 100 year old family recipe. It’s sharp, sweet, nutty flavor makes it easy to eat on its own or with crackers as a snack. It’s also absolutely perfect for melting in a cheese sauce for pasta. Like I did today!
This mac and cheese is super indulgent, creamy, and delicious. Ideal for a big gathering, holidays, or a weekend treat. Best part about it – it’s ready in less than 30 minutes.
OH and can we talk about this cheesy, crunchy topping? I wanted to try out using crushed pork cracklings/rinds; the ones that come in a bag that you can find in the chip aisle, as a topping instead of the traditional bread crumbs. Best decision I made all day.
I hope you make it and LOVE it!
Chorizo Mac and Cheese with Cheesy Chicharrón Topping
- 16 ounces orecchiette or your favorite pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups Wyke Farm’s Ivy’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar shredded
- 4 ounces crumbled Mexican chorizo cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup finely crushed pork rinds
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, cook macaroni according to package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes to create a roux. Whisk milk, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika then cook until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the cheddar and stir until cheese is completely melted. Add in cooked orecchiette, cooked crumbled chorizo and carefully stir to combine.
- Preheat broiler and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish. Transfer mac and cheese to baking dish. In a small bowl, combine crushed pork rinds with parmesan and sprinkle on top of mac and cheese.
- Place baking dish in broiler and broil for 3-5 minutes until the topping is golden brown. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Thank you Wyke Farms for sponsoring this post and a HUGE thank you to all the readers of this blog for all your support! xo
Leave a Rating and a Comment