Thinly sliced gold potatoes tossed in garlic, butter, and thyme then roasted to perfection. An easy 5-ingredient side dish for any occasion!
I’m always on the hunt for easy side dish recipes. Side dishes that can go with anything on any occasion. You can never have enough options, am I right? I feel like potatoes are so versatile. You can never go wrong with them! These crispy sliced roasted potatoes are no exception. They are sooo easy to make and so delicious. If you have a mandoline, that’s even better. If not, you can buy this one.
Why use Gold Potatoes instead of Russet?
Gold potatoes are the best for this dish because they are buttery, slightly sweet and have the BEST texture. A lot of recipes will say Russet potatoes are better but nah. We want buttery texture! So here’s what you do. Take your gold potatoes and slice them in half. One at a time, you slice them thinly with a mandoline. You can, of course, use a knife but a mandoline is way easier and you’ll get a more consistent cut.
Are you with me? Ok. As you slice each potato into thin slices, keep them in little slice packs so they are easier to arrange in the pan later. Once you cut all the potatoes, you then add them to a bowl with melted butter (save some for the pan), garlic, thyme, and salt. Gently toss then butter the pan really well with the remaining butter. Arrange the potato packs/slices in a circular, vertical way in the pan. Make it look pretty. Place in the oven and that’s all folks! The oven does the rest.
Another way to do this (and also because it’s one less dish to clean) is to pour the butter mixture on top of the sliced potatoes once they are already on the pan. Just make sure each sliced is evenly coated and seasoned. Either way works!
How easy was that? Not only is the dish aesthetic AF (especially for holidays), they are also DELICIOUS. Buttery, garlicky, and crispy. YES. Look at you, looking all profesh with these delicious sliced potatoes AND a pretty side dish. Go make them and let me know how it turns out!
5-Ingredient Crispy Sliced Roasted PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), , melted, divided
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, , thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat the bottom of a cast iron pan or large skillet with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Set aside.
- Arrange the potato slices vertically at a angle in the pan, filling the pan completely without crowding it. Make sure there's space in between each slice so it cooks evenly.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining melted butter (6 tablespoons) with minced garlic, fresh thyme and salt. Pour the butter mixture on top, making sure each slice is evenly coated.
- Place skillet in the oven and roast potatoes for 1 hour until the top edges of the potatoes are crispy. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Other side dishes you may like:
- Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
- Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Gratin
- Cuban-Style Three Meat + Plantain Stuffing
- Chorizo Mac and Cheese with Cheesy Pork Rind Topping
- Mini Sweet Corn Casseroles