Leftover Cranberry + Turkey Turnovers. Repurpose Thanksgiving leftovers by making savory sweet pastelitos (or hand pies) using puff pastry sheets!
If you’ve ever visited Miami, currently live in Miami, or have ever had Cuban pastries, you’d totally think these are pastelitos de guayaba (guava pastries). Honestly, I wouldn’t blame you. If you’re a regular around here, you’d know that I have quite the love affair with guava. See here. So you wouldn’t be wrong about thinking it’s a guava pastry. But guess what? These are NOT guava pastelitos (aka turnovers). Although, if you’re looking for the recipe, click here.
These turnovers are actually SAVORY! They are turnovers for Thanksgiving leftovers. That rhymes! Specifically, cranberry & turkey turnovers.
I mean anything you make with puff pastry is goals, am I right?
So, here’s the deal.
I always hear of people wondering what to do with Thanksgiving leftovers. In my head, I’m always like…umm, eat them?
What else would you do with delicious leftovers except eat them all until there’s none left? Either that or give them away.
Now in the spirit of creativity, I thought, well what if we fill delicious Thanksgiving leftovers inside puff pastry.
Some options for these pastelitos
- Sweet potato casserole with shredded leftover turkey?
- Or what about a pastry filled with cranberry and brie?
- Leftover mashed potatoes and green bean casserole?
- Cranberry and turkey?
See where I’m going with this? Thanksgiving leftovers get a second chance at being a star and turn into a turnover!
I made this recipe using leftover cranberry sauce and shredded turkey with store-bought puff pastry.
And it was BOMB.
It may look like a Cuban pastry but it’s actually next level repurposing action. And it’s delicious!
You can always just eat your leftovers if you’re in a food coma. Totally acceptable.
But if you’re up for the fun challenge, think of all the pastry possibilities you can make!
The recipe included here is a guide but the ingredients is up to your imagination.
As I love to say… CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!
Don’t forget to pick up puff pastry sheets this week when you’re shopping for all your Thanksgiving goodies!
I hope you make these and LOVE them.
Leftover Cranberry & Turkey Turnovers (Thanksgiving Pastelitos!)
- 1 package puff pastry sheets
- Thanksgiving Leftovers (turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes)
- 1 egg whisked
- Thaw the puff pastry according to package directions, usually about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and unfold one of the pastry sheets.
- Add leftovers on puff pastry about 1-2 inches apart. You should have 3 rows and 3 columns of leftovers which will make 9 pastries total. (If it's easier, you can mix leftovers in a bowl first and then add them to the puff pastry.)
- Unfold the second pastry sheet and place it over the other one. Cut into 9 squares and score the tops of each one. No need to divide the squares. Leave everything intact.
- Brush egg wash on each one to get that flaky crust. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve and enjoy!