Super moist and deliciously sweet banana bread made in one bowl with dark chocolate chips! Perfect for breakfast or snack.
WAIT! Don’t do it! Don’t throw those ripe bananas away! You know when you buy bananas at the grocery store that you fully intend on eating but somehow you don’t. You buy 5, one for each weekday. And hey, sometimes you actually do eat all 5 that week! Sometimes however, Friday arrives and there they are, all the bananas, sitting on your counter. Maybe not all, probably 4 out of the 5. We’ll give you SOME credit. You had one on Monday. Great job!
I cannot count the number of times this has happened to me in the past. I love bananas but I either forget to grab one on my way out the door, decide to eat something else that day, or [insert silly reason here]. Your initial thought is “Ugh, I gotta throw these away. AGAIN.” BUT I have news for you!
You DO NOT have to throw ripe bananas away! Why? Because the secret to making deliciously moist, sweet and flavorful chocolate chip banana bread is to use very ripe, almost-ready-to-trash bananas. Trust me.
Here’s a video on how to make chocolate chip banana bread:
How To Keep Banana Bread Moist
To make sure freshly baked banana bread stays deliciously moist, use very ripe bananas as I mentioned above. I place bananas with skin and all in the freezer. Yes, they get black and mushy. And well, yeah, they look pretty gross. But guess what? They’re extra sweet, and provide the perfect amount of moisture you need for moist banana bread.
Next, make sure to wrap freshly baked banana bread in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing it in the fridge. Doing this will prevent the bread from drying out and will keep for about 1 week (2 days at room temperature). This is my mom’s favorite recipe except she likes to add walnuts too. You can replace the chocolate chips for any nut or not include anything at all. Choose your own adventure. ;) Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to have another slice. It’s just SO GOOD!
I hope you make this and LOVE it!
Looking for other recipes:
Other recipes with ripe bananas:
- chocolate banana bread
- banana chocolate chip muffins
- nutella stuffed banana muffins
- banana almond butter ice cream
- double chocolate banana muffins
Super Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 stick unsalted butter , room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1 large egg
- 3-4 very ripe bananas , mashed (frozen bananas are BEST; they're extra sweet)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper, making sure the parchment is hanging over the sides of the loaf pan. This will help you easily remove the loaf after baking. Spray with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes until smooth. Whisk in the egg then add the mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. Careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes until a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Originally posted in August 2016. Updated photos in January 2018.
SHOP THE RECIPE
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)