WAIT! Don’t do it! Don’t throw those ripe bananas away!
Ripe bananas are the secret to sweet, moist chocolate chip banana bread!
The secret to making deliciously moist, sweet, and flavorful banana bread is to use very ripe, almost-ready-to-trash bananas.
I love making homemade banana bread with frozen bananas. It keeps banana bread moist and helps them taste extra sweet. Once you start seeing black spots on the banana peels, that’s when bananas are at their sweetest.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Unsalted butter – I prefer to use butter over oil for banana bread recipes because it provides a richer flavor and when combined with brown sugar, it results in a softer, lighter quick bread. That’s what we want!
- Brown sugar – The molasses in brown sugar provides a deliciously rich nutty flavor.
- Egg – Aside from butter, the egg is another source of fat that provides structure and moisture for making the perfect banana bread.
- Very ripe bananas – Black bananas are welcomed here! They are much sweeter than unripe bananas and, like the egg, they provide the moisture needed for soft, fluffy quick bread.
- Vanilla extract + salt – These two are flavor enhancers that are perfect for elevating all the flavors in this banana bread.
- All-purpose flour + baking powder + baking soda – These are the only dry ingredients needed which when combined with the wet ingredients work together as leaveners to strengthen the structure of the bread. Make sure not to overmix though or you run the risk of the bread being too dense.
- Dark chocolate chips – Feel free to use any mix-ins! I like using dark chocolate chips but you can also use milk chocolate chips, small dried fruit, or any nuts.
- Equipment needed – I recommend using this loaf pan, these mixing bowls, this whisk, and this silicone spatula.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
I like to make this banana bread in one bowl! It’s so easy. Here’s how you make it.
- Prepare your loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper, making sure the parchment is hanging over the sides of the loaf pan. This will help you easily remove the loaf after baking. Spray with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes until smooth. Whisk in the egg then add the mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until well combined.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Make sure the flour is not clumpy. Mix until just combined. Careful not to over mix the wet with the dry ingredients. Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips and/or walnuts. Feel free to add other mix-ins too!
- Bake the banana bread. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Get ready for the softest, most moist banana bread you’ve ever had.
Common Questions about Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Yes, you can freeze whole bananas. I recommend peeling them before you freeze them and place them in a freezer bag. They last about 6 months in the freezer.
Not at all! You can use very ripe (almost black!) bananas for this chocolate chip banana bread.
To make sure banana bread stays moist, make sure to use very ripe bananas. They provide the perfect amount of moisture for this chocolate chip banana bread recipe. Also, wrap the freshly baked bread in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing it in the fridge. Doing this will prevent it from drying out.
I recommend cooling the banana bread in the loaf pan for 30 minutes before serving.
The banana bread will keep for about 1 week in the fridge once it’s wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Yes! To freeze the baked banana bread, wrap the loaf or slices tightly in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This is my favorite banana bread recipe! My mom loves it too except she likes to add walnuts. You can replace the chocolate chips for any nut, add both, or not include any add-ins at all. Choose your own adventure. ;)
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to have another slice. It’s just SO GOOD!
You may also like:
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Super Moist Nutella Stuffed Banana Muffins
- Healthy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Chewy Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Super Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 3-4 ripe bananas mashed (frozen bananas are best)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (you can also add walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper, making sure the parchment is hanging over the sides of the loaf pan. This will help you easily remove the loaf after baking. Spray with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes until smooth. Whisk in the egg then add the mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. Careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips and any other mix-ins like walnuts, if you'd like.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and top with more chocolate chips, if desired. Bake for 55-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the banana bread cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Slice and enjoy!
Originally posted in August 2016. Updated photos in January 2018.