Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. Easy-to-make banana muffins made with wholesome ingredients and dark chocolate chunks. Dairy-free, refined sugar-free and packed with protein!
There’s no doubt that I’m obsessed with bananas. Whenever I have leftover bananas, I get excited because I know baked goods are coming soon. My freezer is legit always full of bananas. So with that in mind, I made these healthy banana chocolate chip muffins for you/us!
For this muffin recipe, I really wanted to do the following:
- Use whole wheat pastry flour
- Add collagen peptides protein powder
- Keep them refined sugar-free
- Get those pretty domed muffin tops (so excited about this one)
And I did just that! Let me walk you through the whole process.
How To Make Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
First things first, we make the batter. You mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients in a bowl then you have to let it rest for 1 hour, covered, at room temperature.
I KNOW, I KNOW. Ain’t nobody got time for that but hear me out. The key to getting those pretty domed muffin tops is to 2 things:
- letting the batter rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- preheating the oven at a high temperature and immediately reducing the heat once the muffins are in the oven.
After 1 hour, transfer the batter to a prepared muffin tin. I highly recommend this nonstick muffin pan from OXO. Nothing ever sticks to it! I’ve made my egg muffin cups and my cashew butter granola cups and, cleanup is always a breeze.
Once you’re ready to bake the muffins, preheat the oven at 425 degrees F. As soon as you place the muffin pan in the oven, immediately reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. The initial high heat activates the leaveners (baking soda and baking powder) to create those pretty domed muffins! Ahh, my favorite part of this recipe. Don’t they look beautiful!?
Make sure to not open the oven until the very end so they bake evenly and perfect.
The result is banana muffins that are moist, soft, fluffy, perfectly sweetened, intense banana flavor with bits of chocolately goodness and pretty domed muffin tops! Can’t get any better than that.
These banana muffins last up to 3 months in an airtight container or resealable bag in the freezer. All you gotta do is pop one in the microwave for 30-45 seconds to heat up. Thank me later.
Now, it’s your turn to make these perfect chocolate chip banana muffins. I hope you make them and LOVE them!
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or another sweetener of your choice)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used Bob's Red Mill but feel free to use any other brand)
- 2 scoops collagen peptides protein powder (you can also use regular vanilla protein powder, if you prefer) optional
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
- In a bowl, add bananas, coconut sugar, coconut oil, almond milk, vanilla extract and eggs. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until *just* combined. Do not over mix or you risk them coming out too dense. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the mixture rest for at least 1 hour. If you want to get those pretty domes, do not skip this step.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin, filling each muffin cup almost to the top.
- Place the muffin tin in the oven and immediately turn down the heat to 350 degrees F. The initial high heat activates the leaveners (baking soda/powder) to create those pretty domed muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the muffins comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes then serve!
Originally posted in April 2017; Updated photos + improved the recipe in April 2019.
Other recipes with ripe bananas:
- Super Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Healthy Carrot Cake Banana Bread (Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
- Moist Chocolate Banana Bread (No Chocolate Chips!)
- Healthy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Super Moist Nutella Stuffed Banana Muffins
SHOP THE RECIPE
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)