A tender, flavorful, easy meatloaf recipe made with ground beef and ground pork then glazed with a homemade guava bbq sauce.
If you love meatloaf, you’re gonna LOVE this recipe! This easy meatloaf recipe is one that my mom has made for the family time and time again. It’s made with ground pork and ground beef (YUM!) and of course, I had to add my own flare to it and that is…using guava bbq sauce instead of ketchup. Best swap ever!
Here’s how I made it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Olive oil, onion, and garlic. The aromatics for the recipe that you sauté with a bit of olive oil before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
- Ground beef + pork. The stars of the meatloaf. You can also use ground turkey in place of the pork if you’d prefer or, a mix of both (1/2 pork and 1/2 turkey). You do you!
- Breadcrumbs + egg. The binders for the meatloaf. The breadcrumbs also help the meatloaf stay moist because it soaks up all the juices.
- Guava bbq sauce. A sweet and tangy bbq sauce that really elevates this recipe to the next level!
- Worcestershire sauce. A delicious flavor enhancer that adds a savory, bright, balanced flavor to the meatloaf
How To Make This Meatloaf Recipe From Scratch
- Prep your pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Cook your aromatics. In a skillet, heat olive oil at medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Make the meatloaf. In the same bowl, add ground meat, breadcrumbs, egg, 1/4 cup of the guava bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix all together until well combined.
- Add the guava bbq sauce. Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the prepared loaf pan and form into a loaf. Brush remaining guava bbq sauce on top of the loaf.
- Time to cook! Bake for 60-65 minutes or until fully cooked. The internal temperature should be 165ºF. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Common Questions for this Meatloaf Recipe
First, try to avoid using lean ground meats as much as possible. Use breadcrumbs and an egg. Both the breadcrumbs and the egg play a huge part in soaking up the juices in the meatloaf which help it stay moist. Make sure to cook it at a low temperature for a longer time. If you were to do the opposite (cook at a higher temperature for a short amount of time), this could dry out the meat.
When you’re mixing the ingredients, make sure not to overmix them as doing this can result in a tough, dense texture. Also, when you are shaping the loaf in the loaf pan, make sure not to press it all together too much because you will need to cook it for a longer amount of time which can dry out your meatloaf. A food thermometer will help to determine when the meatloaf is fully cooked. The internal temperature should be roughly 165ºF.
You may also like:
- Guava BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Oven Baked BBQ Baby Back Ribs
- Cuban White Rice (Arroz Blanco)
- 10-Minute Healthy Turkey Meatballs (No Breadcrumbs!)
Guava BBQ Glazed Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork (you can also use ground turkey)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup guava bbq sauce divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a skillet, heat oil at medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- In the same bowl, add the ground meat, breadcrumbs, egg, 1/4 cup of the guava bbq sauce (save the rest for glazed the top of the meatloaf), Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix all together until combined. Careful not to over mix or the meat may turn out too tough/dense.
- Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the prepared loaf pan and form into a loaf. Brush remaining guava bbq sauce on top of the loaf.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until fully cooked. The internal temperature should be 165ºF. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Rating and a Comment