Classic magic cookie bars with a Cuban twist! Maria cookie crust, sweetened condensed milk, cubed guava paste, white chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and toasted coconut flakes.
Magic cookie bars just got a makeover!
I have been DYING to make these again for weeks. See, I have an obsession with guava and LOVE pretty much making anything with it. From guava bbq sauce to truffles, I love adding a Cuban spin to classic desserts. Classic magic cookie bars or 7-layer bars are usually made with milk chocolate chips, nuts like pecans or walnuts, and shredded coconut. I wanted to make my own version by first making a Maria cookie crust instead of a graham cracker crust. Maria cookies are similar to tea biscuits except they are slightly sweet and buttery. I then added white chocolate chips, cubed guava paste, sliced almonds, and toasted coconut flakes. And yes, sweetened condensed milk to seal the deal!
You guys. THEY WERE BOMB.
“Magic” doesn’t even begin to explain how amazing these are. The first time I made them the pan was devoured before I even took the photos.
…which is why I had to made them again. I mean just LOOK AT THEM.
If you don’t know what guava paste is, allow me to introduce you! Guava paste is basically guava fruit pureed into a very thick, stiff, dense, yet soft block that can easily be cut with a knife. The common way we enjoy it is by slicing and eating it with a slab of cream cheese or on top of Maria cookies. It’s basically the sweetest way to eat fruit, if you ask me. ;)
You can buy it here or any Latin grocery store. So basically, these are not only delicious but they are BEYOND easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool so you can dig in! PLEASE let me know if you make them. Comment below or on Instagram @asassyspoon.
I just know you will LOVE them!
White Chocolate Guava Magic Cookie BarsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups Maria cookies, crushed (you can also use graham crackers)
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 4 ounces guava paste, cut in cubes
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper hanging over the sides of a 9x13 pan.
- Combine Maria cookies and butter until well combined. Pat down the mixture to the bottom of the pan to form the crust.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crust then add cubed guava paste, white chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and coconut flakes. Press down firmly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool the bars completely before cutting. Enjoy!
SHOP THE RECIPE
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)