Classic magic cookie bars with a Cuban twist! Maria cookie crust, sweetened condensed milk, guava paste, white chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and toasted coconut flakes.
Magic cookie bars just got a makeover!
Classic magic cookie bars or 7-layer bars are usually made with milk chocolate chips, nuts like pecans or walnuts, and shredded coconut. I wanted to make my own version by first making a Maria cookie crust instead of a graham cracker crust. Maria cookies are similar to tea biscuits except they are slightly sweet and buttery. I then added white chocolate chips, guava paste, sliced almonds, and toasted coconut flakes. And yes, sweetened condensed milk to seal the deal!
You guys. THEY WERE BOMB.
“Magic” doesn’t even begin to explain how amazing these are. The first time I made them the pan was devoured before I even took the photos.
…which is why I had to make them again. I mean just LOOK AT THEM.
What is Guava Paste?
Guava is a tropical fruit that is oval in shape with a rough light green skin. Their insides are a light pink color and they taste a little sour-sweet. There are several varieties of guava fruits but the most common one taste like a mix between a strawberry and a lemon. Guava paste is basically guava fruit pureed into a very thick, stiff, dense, yet soft block that can easily be cut with a knife.
You can buy it here or any Latin grocery store. So basically, these are not only delicious but they are BEYOND easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool so you can dig in!
How To Make White Chocolate Guava Magic Cookie Bars
- Make the crust. Add the Maria Cookies and butter in a food processor until they are well combined. Pat down the mixture to the bottom of the pan to form the crust.
- Add the condensed milk. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crust, making sure to evenly coat the entire crust.
- Add the rest of the magic ingredients. Add guava paste, white chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and coconut flakes. Press down firmly.
- Bake magic cookie bars! Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool the bars completely before cutting. Enjoy!
I just know you will LOVE them!
- 2 cups Maria cookies, crushed (you can also use graham crackers)
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 4 ounces guava paste, cut in cubes
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper hanging over the sides of a 9x13 pan.
- Combine Maria cookies and butter until well combined. Pat down the mixture to the bottom of the pan to form the crust.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crust then add cubed guava paste, white chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and coconut flakes. Press down firmly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool the bars completely before cutting. Enjoy!