A hearty, comforting bowl of chili made with white kidney beans (cannellini), ground turkey, and Mexican chorizo. Ready in just 35 minutes!
Unlike most people, chili wasn’t a popular dish I had growing up. We had versions of it, like potaje (pronounced poe-ta-hey) which are more like stews or porridge, made with lentils or garbanzo beans.
But traditional chili was something I learned about later in life and of course, made it my own. I don’t know about you but that’s how I like to cook. I like to learn how to make a recipe and then change it up! That’s what I did today with this White Bean Turkey Chorizo Chili!
This is one of those “do you” / “create your own adventure” type of recipes which are my personal fave. You can usually find all these ingredients for chili in your kitchen. For me, it started out like “I want to make chili, what do I have on hand?”
I almost always have ground turkey in the freezer (staple!) and leftover chicken broth in the fridge. I then found a can of white kidney beans in the pantry. Woot! Chili is usually made with red kidney beans but hey…let’s live a little, ya know? Bought some chorizo to jazz it up and voilà! You could totally make this recipe without it, btw. Like I said, create your own adventure!
How to Make White Bean Turkey Chorizo Chili
It’s SO easy to bring this to life. Here’s what you do. Once you have all the ingredients, you make it all in one pot. And it takes just 35 minutes! Aren’t quick recipes like this the best!? You make it once and then have chili for the next few days or to share with friends and family. This is also a great game day recipe!
In the same pot, you sauté the garlic and onions. You then brown the chorizo and cook the ground turkey. Should take about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Stir in all the spice, tomatoes, broth, and the beans. Simmer until the chili thickens and that’s it!
I added a dollop of sour cream on top of mine to balance out all that spiciness plus shredded cheese and cilantro but feel free to add whatever you want. You can add avocado, crushed tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, crumbled bread. Whatever your pretty heart desires.
OH! I also wanted to point out…there’s a secret ingredient in this chili. Well, not so secret but if you’re not familiar, like I wasn’t familiar, it may sound odd to you at first. It’s cocoa! Just 1 tablespoon boosts the richness and complexity of hearty chili without the chocolate flavor. Trust me on this.
I hope you make it and LOVE it!
35-Minute White Bean Turkey Chorizo Chili
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 links Mexican chorizo in pieces (1/2 pound)
- 1-2 tablespoon chili powder (depending on desired heat level)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (10 ounces)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed (15 ounces)
- Optional toppings: cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocado
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add in onion and garlic. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add ground turkey and chorizo. Cook, while crumbling both meats, until both are cooked through and no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cocoa powder, cayenne, cumin, oregano, and salt. Add in tomatoes, chicken broth, and cannellini beans. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat until chili thickens. Serve, garnish with toppings and enjoy!