Queso fundido made with chipotle mushrooms, roasted poblano peppers, and Mexican chorizo. Easy-to-make and perfect for game day!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sargento®. All opinions are 100% mine.
I’d like to call this recipe a “create your own adventure” recipe. You can make queso fundido without chorizo, you can make it without mushrooms, you can make it with both. It’s super versatile and I hope you love it as much as I do.
This queso fundido was made using Sargento Mexican shredded cheese which is made with Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, and Asadero Natural Cheese. Sargento Shreds are shredded fresh off blocks of real, natural cheese. This is the perfect game day recipe!
Whether it’s your next tailgate or the next football Sunday, you gotta make this recipe! It’s SO flavorful!
Ingredients You’ll Need
You can simply use chorizo for this recipe however if you were looking to make a vegetarian queso fundido version, you can use mushrooms and poblano peppers instead of chorizo.
- Shredded cheese. You can use Monterey Jack cheese, Oaxaca cheese, Asadero, Manchego, and/or Chihuahua cheese.
- Mexican chorizo.
- Mushrooms. Crimini, portobello, or your favorite.
- Chipotle powder. You can also use ancho chili powder (depending on desired heat level)
- Roasted poblano peppers. You can place them in the oven until blackened or use a kitchen torch.
- Chopped cilantro.
- Lime wedges.
How To Make Queso Fundido
First things first, choose whether you’re using chorizo, mushrooms or both.
Proceed to make each. Browning the chorizo is pretty straightforward (and you can skip that step if you’re keeping it vegetarian) but let me tell you about these smoky mushrooms. OMG. I used a teaspoon of chipotle powder (you can also use ancho chili powder) and sautéed them until tender. SO GOOD. You can always add less chipotle if you don’t like too much heat.
Once the chorizo and/or mushrooms are done, you combine them with the shredded cheese. Cheese it up, guys. This needs to be ooey-gooey so less is not always more in this case. The cheese is the star of the show!
Once you do that, place it in the oven for 10-20 minutes. Depending on the pan you use, it could take 10 or it could take 20 minutes. Start with 10 and keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
The result is a smoky, cheesy, delicious combo that should only be enjoyed with friends and family. Grab tortilla chips or toasted baguettes and go to town!
Oh! And pro tip: a squeeze of fresh lime on top is the perfect finishing touch. Trust me.
Questions about Queso Fundido
Not to be confused with queso, queso fundido is a flavorful dip made with melted cheese and chorizo. Sometimes you’ll find some versions with peppers and mushrooms folded in.
Queso fundido is typically made with melted cheese and smokey, delicious pork chorizo.
For this queso fundido recipe, you can use Monterey Jack cheese, Oaxaca cheese, Asadero, Manchego, and/or Chihuahua cheese.
You may also like:
- Mini Chorizo Sloppy Joes
- Chorizo Mushroom Sweet Potato Hash
- Chorizo Mac and Cheese with Cheesy Pork Rinds Topping
- 35-Minute White Bean Turkey Chorizo Chili
- Gouda-Chorizo Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
Queso Fundido with Chorizo
- 6 ounces Mexican chorizo casing removed and in pieces
- 4 ounces mushrooms chopped (crimini, portobello, your favorite)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon chipotle powder or ancho chili powder (depending on desired spice level)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 roasted poblano peppers (place in the oven until blackened or use a kitchen torch)
- 2-3 cups Sargento Mexican Shredded Cheese (depending on the pan size)
- Chopped cilantro and lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven at 350ºF.
- In a cast iron pan, cook chorizo over medium-high heat until browned. Transfer chorizo to a plate.
- In the same pan, add mushrooms, chipotle powder, salt and pepper. Sauté until tender. Set aside.
- Peel the skin off of the poblano peppers. Remove the seeds and roughly chop. To the pan with the mushrooms, add the browned chorizo, poblano peppers and shredded cheese. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with cilantro, a squeeze of lime and serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Thank you Sargento® for sponsoring this post and a HUGE thank you to all the readers of this blog for all your support! xo