A simple savory roasted butternut squash tossed in bacon fat with crisp pieces of bacon. A healthy, easy to make side dish made with just 3 ingredients!
This roasted butternut squash with bacon is one of the easiest and most flavorful side dishes I’ve ever made. It’s super easy to make and you get to toss the roasted butternut squash in BACON FAT! I mean hello, how delicious does that sound!
My family loves when I make this for special events or dinner parties. To this day, my brother in law continues to ask me to make it whenever he sees me! That’s how delicious this dish is! You can totally make this side dish for Thanksgiving too!
Think the sweetness of the butternut squash tossed in with salty, savory bacon. YUM!
Here’s how easy it is to make this recipe.
How To Make Roasted Butternut Squash with Bacon
First things first, cut up your butternut squash and set aside.
Then fry up some bacon. I like the applewood bacon from ButcherBox. Highly recommend! You can also bake the bacon if you’d like. I used this pan with the cooling rack to make the bacon in the oven. It comes out SO crisp and perfect!
You do you but whatever you do, DO NOT THROW OUT THE BACON FAT! Using a pan with a cooling rack to make bacon works out perfectly because the bacon fat oozes into the pan so it’s easy for you to toss the butternut squash without even having the transfer it into another dish. Less dishes! Woohoo!
Once the bacon is cooked, toss the bacon fat with the butternut squash. Season with salt and pepper then bake in the oven until golden brown. Serve the roasted butternut squash with chopped bacon pieces. That’s all folks!
Other sides dishes you might like:
- Mini Sweet Corn Casseroles
- Classic Sweet Potato Casserole
- 5-Ingredient Crispy Sliced Roasted Potatoes
- Vegan Roasted Cauliflower Gratin
- Sweet Plantain Gnocchi with Garlic Brown Butter
- 5-Ingredient Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes
3-Ingredient Roasted Butternut Squash with Bacon
- 5 slices bacon I like the applewood bacon from ButcherBox
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 pound butternut squash , peeled and chopped into 1” cubes
- salt + pepper to taste
- Preheat oven at 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add slices of bacon to the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Once cooked, remove the bacon slices but do not discard the bacon fat.
- To the same baking sheet, transfer the butternut squash cubes. Toss butternut squash with the bacon fat until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the butternut squash has softened and is golden brown. Cut or break the bacon slices into pieces and toss with the butternut squash. Serve. Enjoy!