These baked apple pie empanadas with a buttery brown sugar apple filling and a spiced rum icing drizzle are the perfect party snack!
Flaky crusts, buttery brown sugar apple filling, cinnamon sugar dusted and drizzled with a spiced rum icing.
I mean…if that doesn’t scream Fall dessert, I don’t know what will.
Well, I’m sure most of you will say pumpkin this or that but honestly I may be the only person on Earth that hates pumpkin. I’ve never been someone who likes what everyone else likes but then again I can be basic AF for other things.
Bottom line: These apple pie empanadas are ‘Fall’ in my book. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
They come together very easily. No cooking prior to filling and no frying either. You know how I feel about frying.
You just literally toss the diced apples (Granny Smith plis!) in cinnamon sugar, melted butter, brown sugar, and lime juice then you add it to pastry rounds, seal with a fork and bake them for 20 minutes. I mean how easy is that.
Before you seal it all the way, stop halfway through, hold up the empanada so it looks like a pita pocket (half open) and add a bit more filling. Seal it completely and place on the baking sheet. As long as you don’t overfill, you will be fine and you will have SO. MUCH. FILLING.
Did I mention they are delicious?
I’ll go as far to say they taste a little bit like McDonalds apple pie. OH YEAH, I went there! You KNOW those pies are good. Probably full of chemicals but pretty damn good.
Oh and P.S. I added a drizzle of spiced rum icing cuz I’m extra like that. ;)
I mean just LOOK at that filling! YUM.
The flavors of Fall are written all over these baked apple pie empanadas and if you don’t want to make them boozy, omit the icing. No biggie. But meh, a little booze never hurt nobody. ;)
I hope you make these and LOVE them!
Baked Apple Pie Empanadas with Spiced Rum IcingPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
BAKED APPLE PIE EMPANADAS
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 pack frozen pastry rounds or use your favorite dough recipe
- 1 egg beaten
SPICED RUM GLAZE
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum
- In a bowl, mix ground cinnamon and sugar together. Save about 2 tablespoons for later. Toss diced apples with the cinnamon sugar then add butter, brown sugar, and lime juice. Gently mix everything together.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. In a pastry round, add one tablespoon of the filling into the center of the circle, fold, and seal with a fork.
- Place the empanadas on a lightly greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart, brush with the egg wash, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a bowl, stir powdered sugar and spiced rum together then drizzle over empanadas. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Thank you for being here! <3
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)