Deconstructed egg roll bowls made with ground pork, coleslaw mix, rice vinegar, sesame oil and soy sauce. A quick 15-minute healthy meal!
Are you a fan of Chinese food? I am! I love me some shrimp fried rice. Sweet and sour chicken is also my jam. But if I was told that I could only order one thing from the menu, it would be an egg roll. Hands down. I mean, it’s fried and delicious. What’s not to like? After seeing a bunch of recipes on Pinterest for “egg roll in a bowl“, I decided to give it a shot and make one myself!
About a month ago, I placed an order for Butcher Box so I had ground pork in my freezer. In case you don’t know what Butcher Box is, it’s a service that curates boxes of grass-fed, no-hormone-added, humanely raised beef, chicken, and pork, and delivers it right to your home. So far, I am really loving my box. They always have specials going on, like free bacon or free salmon, so check them out!
How To Make Egg Roll Bowls
This is honestly sooo easy to make. In a skillet, heat up sesame oil over medium heat. Add and cook onions until translucent, about 1 minute or so, then add garlic. Add ground pork. Cook for about 5 minutes then add ginger, coconut aminos or soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and spices. Mix it all up then add coleslaw mix. Cook for another 5 minutes and that’s all folks! Full recipe is below.
Of course, no one is claiming that this recipe should ever replace egg rolls. However the next time a craving for Chinese food hits and you don’t want all the fried stuff, make this instead! It’s a healthy and super easy meal for the dinner.
I added a dollop of chipotle mayo to mine because I love me some spicy. You can add hot sauce or just leave it as is. Don’t forget to garnish with green onions and sesame seeds too. This recipe is flavorful and perfect for meal prep too!
Can’t wait for you guys to make it!
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos, (or low sodium soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 bag coleslaw mix, (12 oz)
- Garnishes: sliced green onions, sesame seeds, and hot sauce (optional)
- In a skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds then add ground pork. Cook ground pork about 5 minutes until no longer pink.
- Mix in ginger, coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper then add coleslaw mix. Cook for another 5. Transfer to a bowl. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Drizzle with hot sauce, if you want more heat. Enjoy!