A quick and easy vegetarian paella made with brown rice, garbanzo beans, mushrooms, red peppers, and peas. Perfect weeknight meal!
A few weeks ago, I ran a poll on Instagram Stories (do you follow me?) asking if you guys wanted to see more easy weeknight meals. You all gave me a resounding YES! So here we go! I don’t remember the first time I tried paella. Pretty sure, it was somewhere in Miami. I do however remember how amazing it tasted! I also had tons of it when I went to Barcelona a few years ago.
Today, I wanted to bring you a veggie version which is not only a DELICIOUS way to detox after a crazy weekend or if you’re trying to eat more veggies, it’s also a super quick + easy weeknight meal! This vegetarian paella is a healthy twist to the classic paella recipe which usually has chicken and seafood. Plus you can make it all in one pan! Less dishes is always a win for me. Am I right!?
For this recipe, you can use leftover veggies however I used bright red peppers, peas, green onions, mushrooms, and garbanzo beans which makes this dish vibrant and full of flavor. I also used cooked brown rice because it comes together WAY easier and faster! You can make this recipe with uncooked rice but you will need more veggie stock and it will take longer.
This recipe takes 25 minutes from start to finish. Win/win!
Look how good this dish looks! YUMMM. A while ago, I created a healthy version of classic paella using chicken breast and shrimp which you can find here. This recipe is an adaptation of that healthy chicken and shrimp paella recipe. I usually make it on Sunday night and use it as meal prep because why not enjoy amazing Spanish flavors all week long!
Even you aren’t vegetarian, I’m SO SURE you will love this hearty, flavorful paella.
I hope you make it and LOVE it!
One-Pan Quick + Easy Vegetarian Paella
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup red pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry cooking wine (vino seco)
- 1 can garbanzo beans/chickpeas (15 oz) drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Sliced lemons and green onions for garnish
- In a pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add the red pepper and mushrooms and cook for about another 5 minutes. Add smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir and reduce to medium heat.
- Add cooked brown rice, vegetable stock and dry cooking wine. Simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in garbanzo beans, frozen peas, and capers. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Garnish with lemon slices and green onions. Serve and enjoy!
This post is sponsored by All-Clad. I was not compensated for this post, but was provided with the pan pictured above. All opinions are my own. This page also contains affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for supporting and keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)