A simple-to-make paella using brown rice, chicken, shrimp, turmeric, smoked paprika, and fresh lime juice. Perfect for a special occasion or weekly meal prep!
You know how I’m always saying that you should have cooked rice in the fridge?
THIS IS WHY.
Well, not exactly THIS but it’s a great example. See, this DELICIOUS healthy chicken & shrimp paella comes together in just 25 minutes if you have cooked rice in your fridge.
Life cannot get any better than that!
This super easy paella recipe is great for special occasions or even a quick weeknight meal! I used my favorite cast-iron skillet which I highly recommend. Btw, the leftovers taste even better! Hello meal prep. ;)
You can completely customize this recipe as you wish. Add only chicken, if you don’t like shrimp. Use shrimp, if you don’t like chicken. You can also use other types of seafood too – scallops, mussels, clams. I mean, I could be here all day talking about seafood, as I’m sure you know. I will say though, the use of turmeric, smoked paprika, and chicken broth is what really gives this recipe its AMAZING flavor.
Imagine telling your fam or spouse, “Dinner’s ready and it’s paella!”
You’ll get ALLLL the mad props. Add this recipe to your to-do lists. You can thank me later.
Cast iron pans are slow to heat up but retain heat longer which makes cast iron ideal for pan-frying and roasting.
I hope you make this and LOVE it!
Healthy Chicken & Shrimp Paella
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 red onion , diced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 pound chicken breasts , cut in cubes
- 1/2 pound shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 small tomato , diced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Fresh lime juice , cilantro or parsley for garnish
- In a skillet, melt coconut oil on medium-high heat. Add red onion and minced garlic. Cook until the onions are browned and translucent.
- Add chicken and cook for a few minutes then add shrimp. Cook for a few minutes. (It’s ok if both are a little pink, they will continue to cook as you add the rest of the ingredients). Add paprika, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Next, add brown rice and tomatoes. Stir and reduce to medium heat. Add chicken broth and turmeric. Simmer and cook for 3 minutes.
- Lastly, add frozen peas and stir. Allow the paella to simmer for about 5 minutes, then garnish with cilantro, parsley, and/or lime juice. Enjoy!