Pan seared scallops with blackened seasoning, fresh garlic and butter served over rice. A flavorful meal for any day of the week!
I ADORE SCALLOPS. Well, I actually love all types of seafood. When I polled my Instagram audience a few weeks ago, I was happy to see requests for more seafood recipes. You guys are my people! I could honestly have seafood all day, everyday. Seafood dinners are easy to make and, when seasoned correctly, TASTE SO GOOD! Ok, first things first, let’s talk seasoning.
What is blackened seasoning?
In essence, blackened seasoning is really Cajun seasoning. Blackened is more of a cooking method in conjunction with the seasoning. When you make blackened seafood, you first season the fish with the spice blend, melt butter on a hot pan and sear on both sides until you achieve a delicious crust.
A simple blackened seasoning is usually made up of smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, thyme, oregano, salt + pepper. Some blends don’t have sugar but I find that adding that teaspoon of sugar helps to caramelize the fish with a perfect crust. YUM. This spice blend is smoky, a little spicy, and overall perfectly balanced.
How to Make Easy Garlic Butter Blackened Scallops
To start, combine all the spices in a bowl and generously season the scallops with the blend. I’d honestly keep this spice blend in an airtight container for future use. It’s my favorite way to make blackened chicken or blackened salmon!
In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sear scallops on both sides until slightly browned, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic to the skillet. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until they are opaque and butter is golden brown. Remove from the heat and transfer to a plate. HOW EASY WAS THAT!
These Garlic Butter Blackened Scallops are the perfect dinner for any busy weeknight. You can serve them with a simple salad or rice. Personally, I love serving it with white rice because all the garlic butter gets absorbed. SIGHHHH. It makes for the best easy dinner! Then again, I love rice so much that I’d probably pair it with every meal. My Cuban roots are showing.
Can’t wait for you guys to make this dish!
Garlic Butter Blackened ScallopsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound large scallops, patted dry
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed into a paste
- Chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
- In a bowl, combine the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, thyme, oregano, salt + pepper to taste. Generously season scallops with spice mix.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Sear scallops on both sides until browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the skillet. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until the scallops are opaque. Remove from the heat and transfer to a plate. Serve with simple salad or rice. Enjoy!