This sweet, sour, refreshing Limoncello Margarita is a Mexican classic with an Italian makeover! Made with no lemonade concentrate, just simple ingredients.
In case you don’t know, I’m a Disney junkie. Particularly Epcot. I loooove Epcot.
Whenever I go with friends, we do the typical “around the world” walk starting with Mexico. I get myself a guava or passion fruit marg inside (not outside) and then head to Germany where I get a pretzel and a beer. And what’s close to Germany? Italy! We always make sure to stop for the prosciutto platter and an Italian limoncello marg in Italy. YUM.
The limoncello margs are frozen in Epcot’s Italy but they are my FAVE drink there. Probably because it’s so dang humid in Florida at all times. I don’t even like frozen drinks nor tequila but yet here we are.
How To Make Italian Limoncello Margarita
I decided to recreate my own non-frozen version of the Italian Limoncello Margarita to share with you guys! Best decision I’ve made all day.
The Disney recipe for Epcot’s limoncello margarita is made with margarita mix. Not a fan. So instead, I made this beauty with more simple ingredients and it’s so refreshingly tart!
- Make lemon salt for the rim. This lemon salt is a mix of kosher salt and lemon zest. Totally not part of the original recipe but omg. It’s like whoa. You take a sip and immediately make a face! Love it. Add the lemon salt to a plate, run a lemon wedge around the rim of the glass and dip the glass in the lemon salt.
- Make the margarita! Place ice, tequila, limoncello, fresh lime + lemon juices, and agave in a cocktail shaker and shake it up!
- Serve your margs. You can add a splash of club soda or sparkling water if you wish. But make sure to add a lemon wedge or two for good measure. ;)
You can sub the agave for honey or granulated sugar if you prefer. I used agave because it’s like a sweeter simple syrup. Honestly, this limoncello margarita is so easy to make, you just can’t go wrong.
Let me know when you make it!
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces limoncello
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons agave, or another sweetener of choice
- Splash of sparkling water or club soda, optional
- Lemon slices for garnish
- In a plate, combine lemon zest with kosher salt. Run a lemon wedge around the rim of the glasses and dip them in lemon salt to coat.
- In a cocktail shaker, add ice, tequila, limoncello, lemon juice, lime juice and agave. Shake it up! Pour in two glasses with ice.
- Add a splash of sparkling water or club soda, if desired. Garnish with a lemon wedge. Enjoy!
Originally posted in August 2018. Updated photos + recipe in April 2019.
You may also like:
- Cuban Old Fashioned Cocktail
- Guava Basil Moscow Mule
- Creamy Hazelnut Cold Brew Martini
- Guava Coconut Lime Margarita
- Mango Berry Iced Tea Sangria