Low Carb Shrimp Scampi Spaghetti Squash! Sautéed shrimp tossed in a quick + easy garlic, red pepper flakes, parsley, white wine, and butter sauce served on top of spaghetti squash.
This delicious shrimp scampi spaghetti squash is low carb and the perfect weeknight meal. Don’t let the 60 minutes recipe time fool you. Most of that is hands off since you have to wait for the spaghetti squash to come out of the oven. Once you’re ready to cook the shrimp, you’re done in minutes!
How To Make Spaghetti Squash
So first things first, let’s make spaghetti squash. You can buy any size spaghetti squash. I try to look for the largest squash just as a personal preference but I’ve also used small ones too. Just make sure to adjust the cook time depending on size. Start with 30 minutes. If you see the spaghetti squash needs more cooking time (meaning, it’s not tender enough to scrap) then continue to bake in 5 minute increments.
Drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt + pepper. Once the squash is out of the oven, allow to cool before scraping the sides. Baking the spaghetti squash is the what takes the longest to make this recipe. You can always do this ahead of time and transfer it to an air-tight container so it’s ready to go for the week.
How To Make Shrimp Scampi
Now comes the easy part. The spaghetti squash is ready so now it’s time to make the shrimp scampi. This comes together quickly so I highly recommend having all your ingredients prepped, measured and ready. Heat up some butter and olive oil in a pan. Add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add white wine, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 2 minutes then add the shrimp. Cook the shrimp no more than 4 minutes. Don’t walk away from the skillet. If the shrimp begins to curl, it’s overcooked and may taste chewy. Not cute. Pay close attention. Once the shrimp is done cooking, season with salt + pepper and serve on top of spaghetti squash. That’s all folks!
This is a great weeknight recipe that’s so flavorful, I doubt you’ll have leftovers.
I hope you make and you LOVE it!
Low Carb Shrimp Scampi Spaghetti SquashPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 whole spaghetti squash, (~ 4lbs) cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or 1 tablespoon ghee, if paleo
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled, peeled, deveined
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the spaghetti squash. Season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down in a roasting pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the spaghetti squash is cooling, make shrimp scampi. In a large skillet, melt butter with remaining tablespoon olive oil. Sauté garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add white wine, lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 2 minutes then add shrimp and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Careful not to overcook the shrimp. Season with salt + pepper.
- Once the spaghetti squash has cooled, scrape around the edges of the squash using a fork to shred your "spaghetti". Serve shrimp over spaghetti squash. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
This post was originally published in November 2016; Recipe + photos updated in March 2019.