Shrimp ceviche stuffed avocados made with red onion, cucumber, tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and orange juice. Simple healthy snack, appetizer or light lunch!
Considering I’m constantly either in the kitchen or shooting in my living room (yep, that’s where I shoot all my photos), I always need my daily meals to be simple and quick. I just don’t have the time to eat lavish, healthy meals. And I’m sure you don’t either.
Enter these shrimp ceviche stuffed avocados.
This recipe is ready in minutes with more than half the time being hands-off. I am all about that!
How good does that shrimp ceviche look!?
How To “Cook” The Shrimp
There’s actually no “cooking” involved in this recipe because ceviche is usually made with raw fish. No ovens, no stoves. Just citrus! Yep, the actual cooking process is done by the citrus which cooks the shrimp while it is marinating.
Marinating shrimp in citrus acts the same way as if you were heating the fish. It firms it up and provides a refreshing, tart flavor. Honestly, it feels like you’re on a beach vacation. I used this handheld lime squeezer to get every last drop!
Is shrimp ceviche safe to eat?
At first, I was skeptical about this way of “cooking” shrimp however as long as you don’t marinate it for more than 30 minutes, it’s safe to eat. There is such thing as overcooking the shrimp so make sure you do not marinate the shrimp for more than 30 minutes. It will be tough to chew if you marinate for too long.
How long is shrimp ceviche good for?
Ceviche is good for up to 2-3 days in the fridge. If you’re making ceviche ahead of time, I’d recommend transferring the ceviche to an airtight container and not slicing the avocados until you’re ready to serve so they don’t turn brown.
Once the ceviche is ready, just scoop it into ripe avocados and you’re good to go!
So don’t just stand there…go make this super easy recipe now!
Shrimp Ceviche Stuffed AvocadosPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced cucumber
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 large ripe avocados, cut in half, skins and pits removed
- Lime wedges
- In a bowl, add the chopped raw shrimp, red onion, cucumber, tomato, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, orange juice, salt and pepper. Stir and chill for 15-20 minutes.
- Spoon the ceviche into the hollow in each avocado half and serve chilled with lime wedges. Enjoy!
You may also like:
- Vegan Black Bean Croquettes
- Basil Chimichurri Shrimp Skewers
- Cuban-Style Shrimp Creole (The BEST Shrimp Recipe!)