An easy-to-make and deliciously creamy arroz con leche (rice pudding) made Cuban-style with sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, and lemon zest!
Am I the only one that can literally eat sweetened condensed milk straight out of the can? OMG IT’S SO HARD NOT TO. Making this arroz con leche without eating the entire can of leche condensada with a spoon was my challenge of the day. I WON. Be proud of me.
My mom is a self-taught cook. She learned all the things and she learned them well. She’s a Virgo after all. We all, however, are forever our own worst critics. Needless to say, she often found flaws in her meals. “Was it too salty?” “Was it overcooked?” But it never is. It’s always perfect. We always tell her she’s crazy and gobble everything up in seconds. This arroz con leche is no exception. It’s a flawless recipe that is YEARS old and cherished in my family. Along with many other recipes, of course. Mami is a legend.
Video on how to make arroz con leche
How To Make Cuban-Style Rice Pudding
This Cuban-style rice pudding is simple to make and as deliciously creamy as I remember it to be as a kid. This is what cooking is all about after all. Attaching memories to food experiences and cooking adventures. It’s what I’ll always remember about my childhood and what I, myself, strive to do in my own kitchen.
Making arroz con leche is easy. You first cook the rice in a saucepan with water, lemon zest, and a cinnamon stick. After 10-15 minutes, the rice should be soft.
Drain any excess water and remove the cinnamon stick. Add milk, condensed milk, salt, and vanilla extract to the rice and cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally, until thick. Serve in these adorable dark blue mini cocottes with ground cinnamon on top. That’s all folks!
I hope you make this arroz con leche and LOVE it as much we do!
Other recipes you may like:
- White Chocolate Guava Magic Cookie Bars
- Individual Tiramisu Cups
- Dairy-Free Avocado Chocolate Mousse (Refined Sugar-Free)
- Coquito Sugar Cookies (Puerto Rican Eggnog)
- Mini Toasted Hazelnut Mocha Flans
Cuban-Style Arroz Con Leche (Rice Pudding)Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, (14 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a saucepan, add the rice with water, lemon zest and cinnamon stick. Cook until the rice is soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and drain off any excess water. (Most of the water should be absorbed into the rice.) Place saucepan back on the stove.
- Add milk, condensed milk, salt, and vanilla extract to rice and cook over low heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally until thick, for about 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Serve, sprinkle with ground cinnamon and enjoy!
This post was originally created for Sur La Table but I just HAD to share it with you guys too! xo
SHOP THE RECIPE
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)