Deliciously sweet, easy to make, moist chocolate chip banana bread recipe made in one bowl! The BEST banana bread for breakfast or snack.
WAIT! Don’t do it! Don’t throw those ripe bananas away!
You know when you buy bananas at the grocery store that you fully intend on eating but somehow you don’t. You buy 5, one for each weekday. And hey, sometimes you actually do eat all 5 that week! For the most part though, let’s be honest, Friday arrives and there they are, all the bananas, sitting on your counter.
If you’re like me, this has happened to you too in the past. You have all these bananas and are saying to yourself “Ugh, I gotta throw these away. AGAIN.”
BUT I have news for you!
Ripe bananas are the secret to sweet, moist chocolate chip banana bread!
You DO NOT have to throw ripe bananas away! Why? Because the secret to making deliciously moist, sweet and flavorful banana bread is to use very ripe, almost-ready-to-trash bananas.
All you have to do is place them in the freezer until you’re ready to make banana bread (or any other banana recipe, of course). I love making homemade banana bread with frozen bananas. The baked banana bread stays moist and tastes extra sweet. It’s a win win!
How To Keep Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Moist
To make sure banana bread stays moist, you first want to make sure to use very ripe bananas as I mentioned above. They provide the perfect amount of moisture you need for super moist banana bread.
Next, make sure to wrap freshly baked chocolate chip banana bread in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing it in the fridge. Doing this will prevent the bread and chocolate from drying out.
How Long Does Banana Bread Last?
The banana bread will keep for about 1 week in the fridge once it’s wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil or 2 days at room temperature.
Video on how to make moist chocolate chip banana bread:
This is my favorite easy chocolate chip banana bread recipe! My mom loves it too except she likes to add walnuts. You can replace the chocolate chips for any nut or not include any add-ins at all. Choose your own adventure. ;)
Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to have another slice. It’s just SO GOOD!
Other recipes using bananas:
- Moist Chocolate Banana Bread (No Chocolate Chips!)
- Chocolate Hazelnut Marbled Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
- Super Moist Nutella Stuffed Banana Muffins
- Healthy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Super Moist Chocolate Chip Banana BreadPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter, , room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup brown sugar, , packed
- 1 large egg
- 3-4 very ripe bananas, , mashed (frozen bananas are BEST; they're extra sweet)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment paper, making sure the parchment is hanging over the sides of the loaf pan. This will help you easily remove the loaf after baking. Spray with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes until smooth. Whisk in the egg then add the mashed bananas and vanilla. Mix, scraping down the sides of the bowl, until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined. Careful not to over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes until a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Originally posted in August 2016. Updated photos in January 2018.