Flavorful and easy-to-make black bean salad made with sliced avocado, sautéed black beans, and sautéed charred tomatoes. A veggie bowl that’s ready in just 20 minutes!
Boring salads are 100% not my jam. Unless there’s lots of texture and big flavors, count me out. I’m sure you can tell, if you’ve been following me for a while, the types of salads I love don’t really look like regular salads. Case in point: This one!
When you go to a Cuban restaurant, the go-to salad is usually slices of tomato and red onion, avocado, and iceberg lettuce. Nothing fancy. So using that as my inspo, I made this tomato, avocado, black bean salad!
How to Make Blistered Tomato, Avocado & Black Bean Salad
Ok so let me start by saying, this is SO easy to make, you may end up making it every week!
Something to note – if you don’t like cooked / hot tomatoes, feel free to skip this step. I love charred, blistered tomatoes with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Tastes SO GOOD. I know some people don’t like the idea of cooked tomatoes. If you prefer not to char the tomatoes, you can still marinate the grape tomatoes in olive oil, salt, and pepper and set aside while you make the black beans.
To make the sautéed black beans, I added chopped onions, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper to a skillet. Cooked for about 2-3 minutes then added the drained black beans. Talk about flavor bomb and protein too!
Although the Cuban salad I mentioned earlier didn’t have black beans, I wanted to add a protein option here to make it a complete vegetarian meal.
Once you have those two components ready to go, assembly is a breeze. You evenly divide the tomatoes, black beans, and sliced avocados among 4 bowls and garnish with more olive oil, salt, pepper or chopped cilantro.
Here’s what you can expect: sweetness from the charred tomatoes, earthy, savory flavored black beans, and a hearty vegetarian meal that your whole family will love!
Can’t wait for you guys to make it!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped white onions
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 2 large ripe avocados, sliced
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Optional add-ins: arugula, quinoa, mixed greens, sliced red onions
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add white onions, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes then add black beans. Cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add the grape tomatoes, salt + pepper and cook until blistered or charred, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the bowl.
- Add sliced avocado, cilantro, and a drizzle of olive oil (if desired) then season with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!