A healthy chicken caesar salad made with mojo marinated chicken breast, twice fried plantains as croutons (tostones), and a dairy-free caesar dressing!
This post is sponsored by Califia Farms. All opinions are my own.
Growing up in a Cuban household meant dinner everyday was DELICIOUS. Mojo marinated chicken, picadillo, congri, tostones, sweet plantains, you name it. It was all part of my diet and it was amazing. Cue heart eyes.
Today, I’m turning all those Cuban elements from my childhood into a Cuban Caesar Salad!
Think juicy mojo marinated chicken breast, tossed with romaine lettuce and crispy twice fried plantains as croutons. Um YES PLEASE! I’ll take tostones as croutons (or as a side dish) ANY DAY. Oh and I also made a dairy-free Caesar dressing because hello, it was necessary. And honestly SO GOOD.
I made the dairy-free Caesar dressing with simple ingredients including Califia’s Cashew Homestyle Nut Milk which is made with oats, sea salt and coconut cream. It’s soy-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, kosher, vegan, and BPA-free. The dairy-free caesar dressing turned out creamy, nutty, garlicky with a slight umami flavor. It’s perfect!
How to make dairy-free caesar dressing
First things first, you gotta soak the cashews for 20 minutes. This isn’t a totally crucial step but it does help the cashews blend better. It also makes the the dressing more smooth and creamy. You then make dairy-free buttermilk by stirring together Califia’s Cashew Homestyle Nut Milk + lime juice and allowing it to sit for 30 seconds.
Now into a food processor or blender (this is my blender which I love), add the drained cashews, dairy-free buttermilk, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos, garlic, and a pinch of salt + pepper. Pulse until all is well blended. Taste and adjust salt + pepper, if needed. If you need to thin out the dressing, whisk in a teaspoon of water at a time until desired consistency.
You can make this dairy-free caesar dressing one day in advance and keep it in the fridge until ready to serve.
How to make Cuban Caesar Salad with Plantain Croutons
While the chicken is marinating in the mojo marinade, make the tostones (twice fried plantains). In a skillet, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat. Fry the plantain slices for about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
Using a plantain press or a paper towel folded over, smash the plantains to about 1/2 inch thick. Fry the now smashed plantains for about 5 minutes, until golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Set aside. Pro tip: You could use the avocado oil again! Just transfer the cooled avocado oil to a jar and keep it at room temperature for future use.
Lastly, remove the chicken breast from the marinade and cook it to juicy perfection! You can either bake it or cook it on the stove. Once you have the plantains, chicken breast and caesar dressing ready to go, you can assemble the salad and enjoy!
Can’t wait for you to try this recipe!
Other recipes you may like:
- Easy Cuban Vegan Bowls with Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Carne Asada Tostones with Roasted Garlic Chopped Salad
- Salmon Quinoa Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Mojo Marinated Chicken Breast Recipe
- Cuban-Style Crispy Shredded Chicken (Vaca Frita de Pollo)
Healthy Chicken Caesar Salad with Plantain Croutons (Dairy-Free!)Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Mojo Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup mojo marinade
Dairy-Free Caesar Dressing
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup Califia Farms Homestyle Cashew Milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt + pepper to taste
Tostones (Twice Fried Green Plantains)
- 1/2 cup avocado oil*
- 2 large green plantains, peeled, cut into 2-inch slices
- Salt for seasoning plantains
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- In a bowl, add chicken with marinade. Place in the fridge for 20 min to marinate.
- In another bowl, soak cashews with water for 20 minutes.
- In a cup, stir together Califia Farms Homestyle Cashew Milk + lime juice and allow to sit for 30 seconds. This makes dairy-free buttermilk.
- In a food processor or blender, add the drained cashews, buttermilk, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos, garlic, and a pinch of salt + pepper. Pulse until all blended. Taste and adjust salt + pepper, if needed. To thin out, whisk in a teaspoon of water at a time until desired consistency. Set aside.
- In a skillet, add avocado oil and heat over medium-high heat. Fry the plantain slices for about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Using a plantain press or a paper towel folded over, smash the plantains to about 1/2 inch thick. Fry the now smashed plantains for about 5 minutes, until golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Set aside. *You may transfer the avocado oil to a jar for future use.
- Remove chicken from marinate. Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil and cook in a hot skillet for 5 minutes on each side until cooked through. You can use a thermometer to read the internal temperature; it has to be at least 165 degrees.
- Assemble the salad. In a large bowl, add romaine lettuce and chicken. Crumble plantains over salad and drizzle with dairy-free caesar dressing. Mix it all together and serve. Enjoy!
Thank you Califia Farms for sponsoring this post and a HUGE thank you to all the readers of this blog for all your support! xo
SHOP THE RECIPE