A simple chicken caesar salad made with mojo chicken breast, twice fried plantains as croutons, and a lightened up creamy caesar dressing!
Being Cuban means you grow up eating a LOT of carbs. It was a hard job but someone had to do it. ;)
There was always tostones as a side dish on the table and sometimes there was mojo chicken too. Actually, my mom would add mojo to EVERYTHING. Even salmon. Yikes. But that’s neither here nor there. The bottom line is Cuban food is my life blood and I’m always trying to figure out ways to incorporate it into my daily life. Today I turned elements of my Cuban roots into a salad!
Aside from making juicy mojo chicken breast, you make crispy twice fried plantains to use as croutons! Um YES PLEASE. I’ll take tostones as croutons ANY DAY. Oh wait and the lightened up Caesar dressing? HELLO. SO GOOD. I’d been wanting to make a homemade Caesar dressing without funky ingredients (and without anchovies because…anchovies). I found this recipe online and it tastes pretty freaking close to the real thing! So pumped for you guys to give this mojo chicken caesar salad a try.
I know you will LOVE it!
Mojo Chicken Caesar Salad with Plantain Croutons
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 oz parmesan cheese grated
Tostones (Twice Fried Green Plantains)
- 2 large green plantains peeled + cut into 2-inch slices
- 2/3 cup oil (vegetable or coconut)
- salt for seasoning
Lightened Up Caesar Dressing
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese grated
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon water
- pinch of salt + pepper
Mojo Chicken Breast
- Make the plantains/tostones by first peeling the plantain(s) and cutting into slices, about 2 inches thick. In a skillet, add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Fry the plantain slices for about 5 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Using a plantain press or a paper towel folded over, smash the plantains to about 1/2 inch thick. Fry the now smashed plantains for about 5 minutes, until golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt.
- Make the Caesar dressing by whisking Greek yogurt, parmesan cheese, Worcestershire Sauce, garlic, lemon juice, spicy brown mustard, olive oil, and water until combined. Taste and add salt + pepper.
- Make mojo chicken according to recipe in notes. Divide romaine lettuce into 4 different plates. Crumble plantains over salad, add chicken, grated parmesan, and drizzle with caesar dressing. Enjoy!
Looking for other sauce ideas?
- Avocado Chimichurri
- Homemade Honey Mustard Sauce
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Homemade Lightened Up Chipotle Mayo
- Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Avocado Sauce
- Cilantro Garlic Chimichurri
- Avocado Crema
- Mango Rum Sauce
- Lightened Up Big Mac Sauce
- Arugula Pesto
- Homemade Lightened Up Caesar Dressing
- Mango Mojito Dressing
- Avocado Dill Dressing
- Homemade Honey Whiskey BBQ Sauce
- Guava BBQ Sauce
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)