This post has been sponsored by MAGGI®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
When I was a kid, my aunt invited us over for dinner. She made us arroz con salchichas and I absolutely devoured it. I was a picky kid so this was monumental.
What is Arroz con Salchichas?
Arroz con salchicha [pronounced ah·rowz kon sal·chee·kuh] is a Cuban yellow rice dish made with sliced Vienna sausages. Similar to arroz con camarones and arroz con pollo, it’s a delicious Cuban rice recipe that you will LOVE making for your family.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Authentic Cuban Flavors. This Cuban rice recipe, like most Cuban recipes, is made with a flavorful tomato-based sofrito sauce.
- Easy To Make. Super versatile recipe with simple ingredients you can find at any local grocery store.
- 30-minute rice recipe! Who doesn’t love a quick recipe!? This arroz amarillo stovetop rice recipe practically makes itself in one pot.
Let me show you how to make it!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Green pepper, onion, garlic, jarred sliced pimientos, tomato sauce. Cuban sofrito! These are typically the base of most Cuban recipes. Pimientos are sweet, roasted red peppers. All these ingredients add tons of flavor and color.
- Long grain white rice. Stays fluffy, not clumpy. It’s the most versatile type of rice.
- MAGGI® chicken bouillon cube. A lot of arroz con salchichas recipes don’t require bouillon cubes but my family always uses them for our favorite Cuban dishes because of their versatility and to overall elevate flavor without having to add a ton of spices.
- Pinch of Bijol, achiote, annatto, or turmeric powder to color the rice.
- Bay leaf.
- Vienna sausages. The authentic version of arroz con salchichas is to sliced canned Vienna sausages and fold them into the yellow rice. I used chicken sausage to spice it up. Use what you have!
How To Make Arroz Con Salchicas
- Sauté the sofrito. In a Dutch oven or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Cook the yellow rice. Add sliced pimentos and tomato sauce. Sauté for 1 minute. Add rice, water, bouillon cube, achiote, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender about 15 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE LID. The steam is what cooks the rice. After 15 minutes, remove from heat. Keep the lid on for another 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Prep the sausages. Slice the canned Vienna sausages. If making the sliced chicken sausages, cook them for about 5-10 minutes until cooked through.
- Fold the sausages into the yellow rice.
When you’re done making this recipe, make my Easy Cuban Arroz Imperial (Imperial Rice)!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container and chill in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also transfer it to a freezer-safe plastic bag and freeze it for up to 2 months. I would recommend you thaw it to room temperature before reheating it on the stove.
Thank you MAGGI® for sponsoring this post and a HUGE thank you to all the readers of this blog for all your support! xo
Arroz Con Salchichas (Cuban Yellow Rice with Vienna Sausages)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion chopped
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces jarred pimientos drained and sliced
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice washed and strained
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 MAGGI® chicken bouillon cube
- Pinch of achiote, annatto or turmeric powder to color the rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 ounces smoked chicken sausages sliced (or 4 ounces Vienna sausages, sliced)
- In a Dutch oven or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced pimentos and tomato sauce. Sauté for 1 minute. Add rice, water, bouillon cube, achiote and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE LID. The steam is what cooks the rice. After 15 minutes, remove from heat. Keep the lid on for another 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, slice the canned Vienna sausages.
- If making the chicken sausages, add 1/4 cup water to a hot skillet and cook sliced chicken sausages at medium heat, turning them frequently, for about 5-10 minutes until cooked through. Cook in batches, if using a small skillet.
- Fold the sausages into the yellow rice. Serve immediately. Enjoy!