Brown Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies. Salty sweet chocolate chip cookies made with nutty browned butter, crunchy pretzels, and dark chocolate chips.
I will forever be a cookie / brownie girl. FOREVER. As I’ve mentioned before, Cookie Monster is my spirit animal. This could only mean that my love for chocolate chip cookies lives on!
Since I’m not a pumpkin fan (sorry not sorry) but I still love all things fall, I wanted to make a chocolate chip cookie that was full of fall flavor. What could be better than deliciously nutty browned butter chocolate chip cookies with crunchy pretzels inside!
Is this considered fall flavors? Oh well, my spirit animal approves! That’s all that matters. ;)
Besides, I live in Florida. I don’t know what seasons are – Ha!
These CCCs come together pretty easily. I adapted my own chocolate chip cookies recipe with the exception of browning butter and adding salty, crunchy pretzels. SO EASY.
Tips for making the BEST chocolate chip cookies:
- Don’t over mix the dough. TRUST. It will be a DISASTER of flat, pancake-like cookies. NOT OK.
- Use this cookie scoop! You will get the perfect size cookie each time.
- Freeze the dough before you bake. The longer they chill, the longer the ingredients solidify making the cookies spread less. No, you cannot skip this step. Promise, it’s worth the wait.
Can I tell you… I didn’t think that first tip was for real. “Don’t over mix? Who cares?”
Um yeah, you NEED to care. Here’s why.
On Thanksgiving once, my friend and I wanted to make chocolate chip cookies. Place the ingredients in the mixer, we start mixing, and then mix A LOT. Sir mix a lot hahaha. No but for real. We over mixed the batter and ended up with FLAT COOKIES.
I didn’t throw away the batter thinking maybe I didn’t chill it enough. So the next day – Black Friday, I bake them again with the same batter. Once again, I got FLAT, pancake cookies. SO BAD. After that, I realized that was real life. Respect the mixing process. Don’t overmix. Mix enough that all the ingredients are well incorporated and then immediately STOP.
Don’t over mix. Got it? Good.
You can’t go wrong with brown butter. The BEST flavor ever. Have you tried brown butter frosting? OMG. These cookies have a wonderful nutty, salty flavor with the crunch of pretzels and chocolatey goodness.
I hope you make it and LOVE it!
Brown Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chip CookiesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pretzels, crushed
- sea salt for sprinkling
- In a saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter over medium heat for about 3-5 minutes, until the butter foams and little brown specks appear. Be careful not let it burn! Once the butter turns an amber color and has nutty aroma, remove from the heat and pour into a small bowl. Let cool slightly.
- Into the bowl of stand mixer, add brown butter and sugar. Cream together for a few minutes. Add egg, vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until well all is combined but do NOT over mix. Fold in chocolate chips and pretzels.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough and form into 1/2" balls. Place on a baking sheet and freeze the dough balls for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place dough balls on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 9-10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and serve warm. Enjoy!
SHOP THE RECIPE
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)