Using leftover pulled pork and leftover guava BBQ sauce, it only takes 15 minutes to make tostones and assemble these Guava BBQ Pulled Pork Tostones!
Who needs chips and salsa or a bread basket as an appetizer when you can have these tostones!
If you’re like me, you’re always looking for new ways to use leftovers. I hate wasting food so clever ideas like this recipe are right up my alley. Aside from that, these are great for entertaining too!
The last thing you want to do when you have friends and family coming over is slave over a hot stove. Many times, I’ve been guilty of this. I’ve found myself cooking up a storm instead of just relaxing with my friends and enjoying their company.
Recipes like these are perfect for those occasions. All you need to do is fry up some plantains (actually, these are fried twice) and add whatever topping you’d like on top. Tostones are quick and easy to make. Not to mention, salty, crunchy and delicious!
Give them a try and let me know what your friends say once you make them!
Guava BBQ Pulled Pork Tostones
- 2 cups Slow Cooker Cuban-style Pulled Pork
- Guava BBQ Sauce to taste
Tostones (Twice Fried Green Plantains)
- 2 large green plantains peeled and cut into 2-inch slices
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Leftovers or Make Ahead
Make Tostones (Twice Fried Green Plantains)
- Peel the plantain. Cut the plantain into slices, about 2 inches wide.
- In a large skillet, add the oil and heat over medium-high heat to a temperature of about 300 degrees F. Once the oil is hot, fry the plantain slices for approximately 5 minutes, turning once, just long enough to make them soft.
- Remove the plantains and drain on paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Using a plantain press or a paper towel folded over, smash the plantains to about half their thickness.
- In the same large skillet with the oil, fry the now smashed plantains once again, turning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides (approx. 5 minutes).
- Remove the plantains and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt.
Assemble the Guava BBQ Pulled Pork Tostones
- Pour and combine the guava BBQ sauce over the shredded pork to taste.
- Place guava BBQ pulled pork on top of the tostones as desired and serve.
Looking for other sauce ideas?
- Avocado Chimichurri
- Homemade Honey Mustard Sauce
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Homemade Lightened Up Chipotle Mayo
- Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Avocado Sauce
- Cilantro Garlic Chimichurri
- Avocado Crema
- Mango Rum Sauce
- Lightened Up Big Mac Sauce
- Arugula Pesto
- Homemade Lightened Up Caesar Dressing
- Mango Mojito Dressing
- Avocado Dill Dressing
- Homemade Honey Whiskey BBQ Sauce
- Guava BBQ Sauce