Soft and chewy chocolate peppermint cookies frosted with chocolate buttercream then topped with crushed peppermint candies. The perfect holiday cookie!
Yeah I’m so 2000 and late with this recipe (and the song I’m referencing) but I don’t care! I’ve been making these chocolate peppermint cookies since forever! See this horrific photo from my personal IG account. Amazing shot, huh? Aside from these cookies being my very favorite cookie recipe to make during the holidays, I just love love love chocolate and mint together.
I don’t care what anyone says – mint and chocolate are the perfect flavor combo! These chocolate peppermint cookies are adapted from my chocolate chip cookies. So you KNOW they’re going to be super soft and chewy. Not to mention, minty! Just a teaspoon of peppermint goes a long way.
They cookies come together fairly easy since you can make it all in one bowl. I’m ALLLL about that one bowl everything life. Ain’t nobody got time for dishes. Seriously I hate cleanup. Ugh, seeing dishes pile up gives me severe anxiety. Making this recipe is easy peezy. Honestly, the hardest part is not eating all the batter before you even bake it.
Raise your hand if you’ve had to fight yourself from eating the entire cookie batter before baking cookies. *raises both hands*
When frosting these cookies, I recommend chilling the cookies so they are a little easier to frost. After baking, cooled cookies are so soft (and delicious!) that they may break apart when you frost them. That’s why I think chilling them a bit may be a good idea.
Once they’ve been in the fridge for a bit (approx. 20 minutes or so), spoon the chocolate frosting with the back of a spoon, spread on top of each cookie, and immediately add the crushed peppermint candies. I just crushed up a bunch of candy canes; it’s great way to use them up!
These chocolate peppermint cookies also make a great gift too! I’ve placed these in boxes like these and given them to family members, coworkers, or friends. Who wouldn’t want to get these chocolate peppermint cookies as gifts?!
Ok that’s all folks. Go make these cookies STAT!
Can’t wait for you to try them!
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT COOKIES
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crushed candy canes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixer, cream butter and sugar together for a few minutes. Add egg then stir in the peppermint extract. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until just well combined. Place dough balls on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-11 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow them to cool completely.
- While you’re waiting for the cookies to cool, make the chocolate frosting. In a mixer, add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and butter. Mix well. Add whipping cream and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Spread chocolate frosting on top of cooled cookies then garnish with crushed peppermint candies. Enjoy!