Chocolate Frosted Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Soft and chewy chocolate peppermint cookies frosted with chocolate buttercream then topped with crushed peppermint candies. The perfect holiday cookie!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 15 cookies
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT COOKIES
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Crushed candy canes for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a mixer, cream butter and sugar together for a few minutes. Add egg then stir in the peppermint extract. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until just well combined. Place dough balls on baking sheet.
Bake for about 10-11 minutes until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow them to cool completely.
While you’re waiting for the cookies to cool, make the chocolate frosting. In a mixer, add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and butter. Mix well. Add whipping cream and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
Spread chocolate frosting on top of cooled cookies then garnish with crushed peppermint candies. Enjoy!