Homemade chicken noodle soup (or sopa de pollo) made with potatoes, carrots, chicken thighs, and fideo (fidelini) noodles. Perfect for sick days or chilly nights!
This page may contain affiliate links. Read more here.
I’ll be honest, I hate soup as a kid. HATED. Whenever my mom would say she was making soup for me because I was sick, it felt like punishment. Soup was boring to me. It’s just seasoned water. Ew!
That was until I became an adult and learned to appreciate it in all its glory. It warms you up on a chilly day. When you’re sick, it soothes your soul. It’s the perfect comfort food for just about any day of the year.
Today, I bring you my mom’s recipe. I called her up one day and asked her how to make soup. She told me to buy malanga or yuca (root vegetables) but honestly, I skipped that and went for potatoes instead. The rest of the recipe is exactly as she detailed. So without further ado, let’s make Mami’s easy chicken noodle soup!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I prefer chicken thighs since they’re more flavorful than chicken breast. Feel free to use what you have. By the way, you can order your chicken thighs from Butcher Box!
Butcher Box is a service that curates boxes of grass-fed, no-hormone-added, humanely raised beef, chicken, salmon, and pork and, delivers it right to your door. I love getting my box delivered directly to me. There are always specials – like free bacon or free ground beef – you gotta check them out! Click here to find out more info on Butcher Box!
- White onions, carrots, Russet potatoes. The veggies! I don’t like adding celery or other root vegetables but you can if you’d like. My mom sometimes adds malanga instead of potatoes but I’m not a fan.
- Chicken broth. I like using low sodium for this soup so I can control the amount of salt I add. Feel free to use what you have.
- Cumin, oregano, black pepper, chicken-flavored bouillon cube. These spices and the bouillon cube adds a burst of flavor that elevates this soup to the next level. YUM!
- Fideo noodles. I like using fideo noodles because they are super thin, vermicelli-like noodles. You can use angel hair pasta, if you prefer.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
So first things first, chop up all your veggies. By all means, if you want to add any other root vegetables, do you! I just wanted to keep it simple by using russet potatoes. And it was just as delicious as you can except. You can also use chicken breasts if you don’t have chicken thighs.
OR….. just cheat and buy a rotisserie chicken. Shhhh, you didn’t hear that from me!
- Cook veggies + chicken. In a large pot, add all the ingredients except the fideo noodles. We’re adding the noodles at the end. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, reduce heat to low for 30-40 minutes. This will give the veggies time to soften and ample time to cook the chicken. After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks.
- Add the noodles. Place the shredded chicken back in the pot. Add fideo noodles (or angel hair pasta) into the pot. Careful not to add too many noodles to the pot. The noodles tend to absorb a lot of water so if you see that the soup needs more liquid, add 1 cup of water at a time.
- Serve! Cover and cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat. Serve with lime wedges, saltine crackers, and/or tostones. I don’t know why I absolutely love chicken noodle soup with tostones (twice-fried plantains). If you’d like the recipe, click here!
Because I love carbs, I also enjoy my chicken soup with saltine crackers. I found these mini ones in the grocery store once and they have become my go-to now.
This chicken soup is hearty, savory, and full of flavor! I hope it becomes a staple in your home just as it has become in mine.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (Sopa de Pollo)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onions
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 chicken flavored bouillon cube crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces fideo noodles or angel hair pasta
- Lime wedges
- Saltine crackers optional
- Tostones (Twice Fried Plantains) optional
- In a large pot, add chicken, onions, carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, cumin, oregano, bouillon cube, and black pepper. Cover and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks. Place the shredded chicken back in the pot.
- Add the fideo noodles (or angel hair pasta) into the pot. Cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat. The noodles tend to absorb a lot of water so if you see that the soup needs more liquid, add 1 cup of water at a time.
- Serve the chicken soup with lime wedges, saltine crackers and/or tostones. Enjoy!