Delicious chicken noodle soup (or sopa de pollo) made with potatoes, carrots, chicken thighs, and fideo (fidelini) noodles. Perfect for sick days or chilly nights!
I’ll be honest, I hate soup as a kid. HATED. Whenever my mom would say she was making soup for me because I was sick, it felt like punishment. Soup was boring to me. It’s just seasoned water. Ew!
That was until I became an adult and learned to appreciate it in all its glory. It warms you up on a chilly day. When you’re sick, it soothes your soul. It’s the perfect comfort food for just about any day of the year.
Today, I bring you my mom’s recipe. I called her up one day and asked her how to make soup. She told me to buy malanga or yuca (root vegetables) but honestly, I skipped that and went for potatoes instead. The rest of the recipe is exactly as she detailed. So without further ado, let’s make Mami’s chicken noodle soup!
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup
So first things first, chop up all your veggies. By all means, if you want to add any other root vegetables, do you! I just wanted to keep it simple by using russet potatoes. And it was just as delicious as you can except. You can also use chicken breasts if you don’t have chicken thighs.
OR….. just cheat and buy a rotisserie chicken. Shhhh, you didn’t hear that from me!
In a large pot, add all the ingredients except the fideo noodles. We’re adding the noodles at the end. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, reduce heat to low for 30-40 minutes. This will give the vegetables time to soften and ample time to cook the chicken. After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks.
Place the shredded chicken back in the pot. Add fideo noodles (or angel hair pasta) into the pot. Careful not to add too many noodles to the pot. The noodles tend to absorb a lot of water so if you see that the soup needs more liquid, add 1 cup of water at a time.
Cover and cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat. Serve with lime wedges, saltine crackers and/or tostones. I don’t know why I absolutely love chicken noodle soup with tostones (twice-fried plantains). If you’d like the recipe, click here!
Because I love carbs, I also enjoy my chicken soup with saltine crackers. I found these mini ones in the grocery store once and they have become my go-to now.
This chicken soup is hearty, savory, and full of flavor! I hope it becomes a staple in your home just as it has become in mine.
Chicken Noodle Soup (Sopa de Pollo Cubana)Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onions
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium russet potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 chicken flavored bouillon cube, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces fideo noodles, or angel hair pasta
- Lime wedges
- Saltine crackers, optional
- Tostones (Twice Fried Plantains), optional
- In a large pot, add chicken, onions, carrots, potatoes, chicken broth, cumin, oregano, bouillon cube, and black pepper.
- Cover and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred with two forks. Place the shredded chicken back in the pot. Add fideo noodles (or angel hair pasta) into the pot.
- Cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat. The noodles tend to absorb a lot of water so if you see that the soup needs more liquid, add 1 cup of water at a time.
- Serve the chicken soup with lime wedges, saltine crackers and/or tostones. Enjoy!