Vegetarian tacos made with cumin-spiced sautéed mushrooms, sautéed peppers and onions, then topped with homemade avocado chimichurri and crumbled feta cheese.
Today, I’m bringing you one of my newest obsessions – not tacos, well, yeah tacos BUT my latest obsession is… cumin-spiced sautéed mushrooms.
I know super revolutionary, right? Yeah. I love love LOVE sautéing mushrooms with cumin. The taste is just so nutty and unique. Hard to describe really because you have the mushrooms that are already earthy in flavor to begin with so adding cumin just elevates all of that!
Feel free to use regular white mushrooms or portobello mushrooms. I personally love sliced baby bellas. I love their color and their flavor. And then inside of a taco? YUM. Of course, the sautéed red peppers and onions help too so basically it’s the best thing ever. The combo of all those flavors just scream weeknight dinner.
But also, lunch leftovers. You can totally make the mushroom-red pepper-onion mixture and pack up the tortillas separately for easy assembly the next day.
That’s a win in my book!
These vegetarian tacos are especially great for crowds. So, if you’re having people over, consider making a big batch of all the veggies with the avocado chimichurri.
WAIT can we just talk about how good that avocado chimichurri looks?! I used this food processor to make this chimichurri sauce.
Whether you use parsley or cilantro, chimichurri is delicious yes but then you go on and add avocado too?! Is it Christmas?? A meal could be the most boring meal on earth but the minute you slice an avocado and add it to the dish, it suddenly becomes the best dish you’ve ever had.
Who can go wrong with tacos! Add these vegetarian tacos to your rotation for the week. You won’t be disappointed.
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more if you want more spice
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Hass avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese or cotija for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro or parsley
- In a food processor, add parsley, garlic, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, olive oil and lime juice. Pulse until well combined. Add avocado and give it a few more pulses until desired consistency. I prefer a thick, chunky texture but you can pulse it until it is more blended. Up to you! Set aside.
- In a skillet, add oil and mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with cumin and sauté over medium-high heat until browned and tender, approximately 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add sliced red peppers and sliced onion. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until tender. Remove from heat.
- To assemble tacos, add sautéed mushrooms, red peppers, onions to a corn tortilla. Top with avocado chimichurri and crumbled feta. Serve and enjoy!