These veggie tacos are made with cumin-spiced sautéed mushrooms, red peppers, and onions then topped with homemade avocado chimichurri and crumbled feta cheese.
It’s been a minute since I’ve shared a taco recipe on the blog!
Today, I’m bringing you one of my newest obsessions – not tacos, well, yeah tacos BUT my latest obsession is… cumin-spiced sautéed mushrooms. I know super revolutionary, right? Yeah.
I love love LOVE sautéing mushrooms with cumin. The taste is just so nutty and unique. Hard to describe really because you have the mushrooms that are already earthy in flavor to begin with so adding cumin just elevates all of that!
You’re probably looking at your screen like – she’s out of her damn mind – but honestly it’s SO good.
Feel free to use regular white mushrooms or portabello mushrooms. I personally love sliced baby bellas. I love their color and their flavor. And then inside of a taco? YUM.
Of course, the sautéed red peppers and onions help too so basically it’s the best thing ever. The combo of all those flavors just scream weeknight dinner. But also, lunch leftovers. You can totally make the mushroom-red pepper-onion mixture and pack up the tortillas separately for easy assembly the next day.
That’s a win in my book!
These mushroom tacos are especially great for crowds. So, if you’re having people over, consider making a big batch of all the veggies with the avocado chimichurri.
WAIT OMG THE CHIMICHURRI. Can we just talk about how good that avocado chimichurri looks?!
I mean, you had me at avocado, am I right? That’s an ultimate plus. Whether you use parsley or cilantro, chimichurri is delicious yes but then you go on and add avocado too?! Is it Christmas??
A meal could be the most boring meal on earth but the minute you slice an avocado and add it to the dish, it suddenly becomes the best dish you’ve ever had. Avocados are bae.
Did I just say that? Ew.
I’m also loving simple, easy-to-make meals and this one is no exception.
Who can go wrong with tacos! Add this recipe to your rotation for the week. You won’t be disappointed.
I hope you make it and LOVE it!
Avocado Chimichurri Mushroom Tacos
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more if you want more spice
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Hass avocado pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms I like baby bellas
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Crumbled feta cheese or cojita
- Corn tortillas
- In a food processor, add parsley, garlic, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, olive oil and lime juice. Pulse until well combined. Add avocado and give it a few more pulses until desired consistency. I prefer a thick, chunky texture but you can pulse it until it is more blended. Up to you! Set aside.
- In a skillet, add olive oil and mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with cumin and sauté over medium-high heat until browned and tender, approximately 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add sliced red peppers and sliced onion. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté on medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until tender. Remove from heat.
- To assemble tacos, add sautéed mushrooms, red peppers, onions to a corn tortilla. Top with avocado chimichurri and crumbled feta. Serve and enjoy!
Looking for other sauce ideas?
- Avocado Chimichurri
- Homemade Honey Mustard Sauce
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce
- Homemade Lightened Up Chipotle Mayo
- Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Avocado Sauce
- Cilantro Garlic Chimichurri
- Avocado Crema
- Mango Rum Sauce
- Lightened Up Big Mac Sauce
- Arugula Pesto
- Homemade Lightened Up Caesar Dressing
- Mango Mojito Dressing
- Avocado Dill Dressing
- Homemade Honey Whiskey BBQ Sauce
- Guava BBQ Sauce
SHOP THE RECIPE
This page may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click on one of the product links above and complete a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. I will never place a link nor make a recommendation on a product or service that I don’t love or use personally. Thank you for keeping A Sassy Spoon, sassy. ;)