Just a dash of turmeric gives an intense flavor to this sweet potato mash! Perfect pairing for slow cooker Cuban-style pulled pork.
Today, I made mashed sweet potatoes with turmeric. This spice is all the rage this year. Have you heard about it? As I said in Spinach + Ham Egg Frittatas recipe, I’m testing with turmeric this week.
It’s pretty strong flavor. Just a dash of it goes a long way! Even though only 3/4 teaspoon was added, I was still able to distinguish the flavor.
Not complaining, the sweet potato mash was still DELICIOUS but that goes to show you the intensity of le golden spice. I also added a dash of smoked paprika which is my favorite spice. I love this combo – pulled pork and sweet potato. You have your citrusy, garlicky, tender, fall-of-the-bone pulled pork sharing a plate with the sweetness of the sweet potato mash.
What’s your favorite dish to pair with sweet potato?
[clickToTweet tweet=”Cuban-style pulled pork + turmeric sweet potato mash is what’s for dinner!” quote=”Cuban-style pulled pork + turmeric sweet potato mash is what’s for dinner!”]
Turmeric Sweet Potato Mash with Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Cuban-Style Pulled Pork* (recipe link in notes)
- 2 large sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Make Cuban Style Pulled Pork in the slow cooker, preferably on a Sunday for meal prep or overnight so it's ready to go next day!
- To make tumeric sweet potato mash, add olive oil to a skillet and heat the sweet potatoes over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and turmeric. Toss to coat. Simmer until the potatoes are soft then transfer to a small bowl and mash.
I hope you make this and you love it too!