Flavorful chicken tacos made with a quick mojo marinade, an easy-to-make sweet plantain salsa, avocado, red cabbage, cilantro, queso fresco, and lime wedges. Great way to use leftover chicken!
May I present you with…*drum roll please* your next quick + easy meal!
Yes, my friends, these chicken tacos are one of those “WHAT DO I MAKE FOR DINNER” type of dinners. It’s one of those “WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL THIS LEFTOVER CHICKEN” kinda dinners. It’s also one of those “OMG THIS WAS SO EASY AND DELICIOUS” type of dinners too.
Guys, what I’m trying to say is just go ahead and add this chicken taco recipe to your rotation this week, k?
Here’s what we’re working with…
- mojo chicken: basically shredding up your leftover chicken (or totally cheating and picking up a rotisserie chicken on the way home) and mixing it with mojo marinade + spices.
- sweet plantain salsa: a very ripe plantain that looks black and rotten gets peeled, sliced and pan fried with coconut oil to result in a deliciously sweet plantain salsa that’s mixed with black beans, chopped onions, lime juice, lime zest, salt + pepper. See why you can’t judge a book by its cover?
- chicken tacos!: need I say more?
Toppings like sliced avocado, shredded red cabbage, crumbled queso fresco, chopped cilantro, and more lime, of course.
Feel free to add more toppings of your liking. The beauty of tacos is that you can create your own adventure.
Taco night has never looked so freaking festive! You can even jazz things up with this cute taco serving platter.
I hope you make these and absolutely LOVE them.
Other recipes you may like:
- Avocado Chimichurri Mushroom Tacos
- 15-Minute Spicy Fish Tacos with Slaw
- Cuban-Style Camarones Enchilados (Deviled Shrimp / Shrimp Creole)
- Basil Chimichurri Shrimp Skewers
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce (Pollo Tropical Inspired)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large ripe plantain, very dark skin, peeled, diagonally cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- Juice from 1 lime
- Zest from 1 lime
- Salt + pepper to taste
- In a bowl, add chicken and marinade to the bowl. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to marinate.
- In a hot nonstick skillet, heat oil at medium heat. Pan fry the chopped plantain for 2-3 minutes until they have browned. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Chop into small pieces.
- In the same skillet, wipe clean and heat remaining oil at medium heat. Add the shredded chicken and cuban seasoning. Pan fry for 6-8 minutes until crispy. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add onions, black beans, juice from 1 lime, zest from 1 lime, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add chopped plantains and gently mix together to combine.
- To assemble tacos, divide chicken evenly over warm corn tortillas then add avocado, red cabbage, plantain salsa, cilantro, and crumbled queso fresco. Serve with lime wedges and ENJOY!